• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

something keeps draining my batteries

gcxcountrystar1

Reaction score
My !993 chevy 6.5td keeps draining the batteries. I have brand new batteries it fires up i can drive it around. I go home park it for the night and come out the next morning and the batteries are drained and wont crank over. All my grounds are nice and clean and tight. I noticed that when i put the batteries back in the truck when i though they were charged up enough the glow plug controller was making a noise. I replaced the glow plug controller about a year and a half ago. glow plugs are about a year old maybe a little more. does anyone have any ideal on what the problem might be.

You have a key off current drain.
Look for dome lights, map lights, glove box lights, vanity mirror lights, aftermarket stereo.

Then you will be putting an amp meter in line with the batteries and pulling fuses till you find it.

A bad battery can pull the other one down. New parts, batteries, don't mean they are good. Alternators can also leak current and work fine. Bad diode although they usually short out and burn up.

I would start with separate and test the batteries like WW said.

Please clarify: "I noticed that when i put the batteries back in the truck when i though they were charged up enough the glow plug controller was making a noise." Are you saying as soon as you connect the battery cable the controller came on with the key out of the ignition?

brake light switch should be noticeable..lights will be on but is usually intermittent. Is it every night?

Glow plug controller started making noise when I went and turned on key. It was a loud humming noise

Thinking back to worn wires and issues that wanted to burn my '93 trucks down: Check the positive feed wire to the GP controller esp near the firewall for rubbing through and shorting out. Check the positive battery cable at the bottom of the battery tray for rubbing through and shorting. Replace the main power feed wire that runs from the battery to the main junction at the firewall. This is the wire that takes that stupid path by the starter and exhaust manifold. I had 3-4 " of insulation missing off it by the manifold on my truck. Simply cut it at the battery positive and at the main firewall junction. Replace it with similar gauge wire and a fusible link run along the fender. Shorts in this case are not dead shorts as you would have a fire or burned up wire. These are high resistance shorts where corrosion or dirt cause enough resistance to keep the current down.

GP noise may be a separate issue or related.

Check the grounds by the controller - trans dipstick ground. Check the harness plug and the bolt down terminals. The glow plug light would be on if the relay stuck closed (on). You would also get a big dangerous spark connecting battery cables.

Low battery condition could cause the relay to malfunction and make noise. The supply voltage being low from the main battery wire burning up could also cause this.

Fuses may need the terminals cleaned.

The alternator also makes a humming noise - pop the plug off it to be sure.

Do you have 2 batteries? are they match?

There is something shorted somewhere.
93 does not have too much load in terms of IP, etc.

Back