• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Some 1994 C3500 rear diff questions

normburns

Reaction score
I have codes on a decal in the glove box, but no idea how to decipher them.

1. How can I determine what my rear end is?

2. How do I determine what the original gears are?

3. How do I determine if it is a posi, by the decal?

4. Can someone explain the diff between a posi, and a locker? Is there a difference? FWIW, on gravel, when I juice it a little, it APPEARS to be a posi, at least I have spun gravel on both sides.

5. Where can I find an idea of pricing for new gears? Maybe a set of 3.42s? I did a search on google, and I was seeing prices like $500. Is that about right? If it is, I will find a plan b.

I have codes on a decal in the glove box, but no idea how to decipher them.

1. How can I determine what my rear end is?

2. How do I determine what the original gears are?

3. How do I determine if it is a posi, by the decal?

4. Can someone explain the diff between a posi, and a locker? Is there a difference? FWIW, on gravel, when I juice it a little, it APPEARS to be a posi, at least I have spun gravel on both sides.

5. Where can I find an idea of pricing for new gears? Maybe a set of 3.42s? I did a search on google, and I was seeing prices like $500. Is that about right? If it is, I will find a plan b.

1. General Motors built aka "Corporate" 14 bolt full floating axle (like a medium or heavy duty truck) with a 10.5 inch diameter ring gear.

2. by finding the code on the glovebox sticker, most likely 4.10s, which is GT5 IIRC.

3. if option code G80 aprears anywhere, you have the factory Governor actuated differential lock. a true differential lock, unlike a posi

4. posi's are usually friction discs, and will fight when turning, and will never fully grip, and will wear out in short order. lockers are either automatic or selectable, and will fully lock when actuated, making both wheels turn at the same time, same speed. far superior setup. Farm equipment has lockers, Fords have posi's, nuff said! :)

5. Randys Ring and Pinion, may not be the best price, but the chick they use in their ads makes me remember them. if only she arrived with the gears...

5. Randys Ring and Pinion, may not be the best price, but the chick they use in their ads makes me remember them. if only she arrived with the gears...

Hey! This ain't right!! I saw NO chick!!!

Thanks for the info. I will verify my codes, now that I know what I am looking for..

Back