• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Smoke from AC vents on Recirc

callie454

Reaction score
OK, manual dual zone hvac in truck. I had the fan on level 5, the panel vents selected, ac on, and recirc on. Under acceleration/load, smoke came puffing out the dash vents, more noticably from the vent just right of the radio. Smelled like a Lionel train set - electrical smoke. I can replicate it in the driveway, by setting everything as stated above, and pushing on the throttle. No smoke from vents when recirc is turned off.... Please help.

Same thing happened in my truck recently. This also happened in our '04 work truck. I replaced electric panel (a relay maybe?) in the work truck because the fan would only work on the highest setting. It was only a $25 part from the dealer. I'm not sure if the two things are related or not. Mine also gave off a musty electrical smell. Let me know if you figure it out.

I got it resolved. It was the blower resistor...NAPA part # BR 474. Turns out it's a pretty common failure. Remove the black cover (at your toes as a passenger) to access the resistor. The resistor has a 1 red and 1 black 10 ga wire connector. I was lucky, 'cause I only needed to replace the resistor, some guys cook the harness connector as well. Hope this helps.

IIRC, it was $54.00. It was the exact same part/manufacturer as the original. I guess I can look forward to replacing it again in another 60k miles. :mad2:

Back