• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Sirius / XM FM direct transmitter ? accessing antenae?

schiker

Reaction score
I have a Sirius Stratus 6 satelite radio. I use the FM transmitter to an open channel on my radio but it is not as clear as my previous Sportster Sirius radio.

The stratus radio seems fine just frequency interference.

Anyone use a FM Direct Adapter with an older OE radio?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...ce=CAT&znt_medium=RSCOM&znt_content=CT2222882

How hard is it to access the antenae cable to the truck radio? What is best way to access the cable? Do I have to take the radio out?

Yep, just Pull the Radio Out and the Antenna Wire will be right there. You're gonna need 2 Adapter Wires though since GM Uses a Proprietary End on their Antenna Wires.

1 Adapter to allow your OE Wire to Fit the Modulator Box and 1 Adapter to allow the Modulator Wire to Fit the OE Radio.

I don't use FM and have the antenna disconnected. I then use the FM out on the old Sirius radio I have and put the ends directly on the vehicle radio receiver unit. Granted the 1993 is by the throttle and the trailer brake controller would interfere with the FM signal. Similar to this product:

http://www.tss-radio.com/products/sirius-fm-wire-antenna

I installed the FM direct adapter (and the 2 adapters required). Not hard at all and no tools required. My Sirius radio sounds much better now. The channel I am transmitting does not have a radio station but has some static and crackle I guess from a distant station. I was using the wire WW linked. The FM direct adapter cleared up the static /interference.

Time will tell if I travel to place with a regular radio station on the channel. When I turn off my Sirius radio my local FM stations still work good.

I picked up the antenae adapters at a Best Buy in the radio install / geek shop. They also sell the Sirius FM direct adapter (but I bought mine at radio shack).

How does it work over long distance trips? I could not stand the absolute crap reception I was getting from my sirius unit and opted to replace the radio completely. I opted for something that was satellite ready, for simplicity and no more cluster of wires around the dash. Yeah, it meant I had to start a new subscription, but I still use the old sirius in the shop. A fringe benefit is the 100% improvement in sound quality over the OEM delco unit.

I have this setup in my truck currently. I have the older XM head unit. I don't get any static on the station with the XM unit on.

I am prolly going to cancel next month. My rates have slowly increased from $9 a month to almost $12. Just need to cut costs anywhere possible in college living on your own.

Still have not been on any long trips to travel through a strong station on the frequency I transmit with my Sirius to the truck radio. Depending on where I go around here so far mabye 50 mile radius when I get in the truck and the Sirius is off I can get some ~ garble -weak radio with static on my "clear channel" (just about all frequencies have something). Sometimes for a little bit If I don't drive you can actually hear the song but it is very weak station. When I turn on the Sirius the satelite station is clear on my radio. When I turn off my Sirius the garble weak radio and static return depending on weather and where I am. With Sirius off and I change to a good local station its clear music like the Sirius add on is not in the truck.

My previous Sirius reciever had s stonger FM transmitter and did not have the cross/contaminated/static interference. And maybe my "clear channel" is not as clear anymore? I think the FCC made them reduce the power of the transmitter at some point ???

Back