• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Semi float axle vs regular (5 & 6 lug style)

Burning oil

LeroyDiesel.com
Vendor
Reaction score
I'll ive ever worked on are the full floating rear hubs, very familar with those. I never had the 2500LD 6 lug "semi floater" to work on. So, what makes it a Semi float?
Im going to be converting my 8 lug to six lug.

Also I understand the 2500LD 6 lug is a 14 bolt rear. Does it take the same pinion/ring gear as the FF axle?

There are 2 differrent 14 bolt rear ends, the 9.5" semi floater and the 10.5" full floater. The full floating rear end is the common one used in the 2500 8 lug trucks and diesel BURBS, but there are also some 2500 light duty 8 lug and 6 lug rear ends that are 9.5" ones. The 10.5" uses a full floater or a hub bearing that rides on 2 bearings on a stub on the end of the axle and teh axle atatches to the hub with bolts. The 9.5" one uses a bearing that the axle rides on directly. The 9.5" and 10.5" share no parts in common.

OK thanks So whats the diff between 6lug SF and a regular 5-6 lug axle? Why is the GVW higher on the 3/4LD?
I think another difference is the 6lug SF has 13"x2.5" brake pads?? vs smaller on the regular's.

I want to get the heavy'est duty 6 lug axle I can find for the 96.

OK thanks So whats the diff between 6lug SF and a regular 5-6 lug axle? Why is the GVW higher on the 3/4LD?
I think another difference is the 6lug SF has 13"x2.5" brake pads?? vs smaller on the regular's.

I want to get the heavy'est duty 6 lug axle I can find for the 96.

Most 1500 trucks got the 8.5" GM 10 bolt and it used 10 or 11" drum brakes. The 6 and 8 lug 9.5" normally got the 13 X 2.5" rear drum brakes but only had 1" wheel cylinders(A cheap upgrade is to put in 1 1/16" wheel cylinders from an 8600 GVWR 13 X 3.5" brakes). The 9.5" 14 bolt can be found in 1500 trucks with sway bar mounting pads on it, and in a 2500 without sway bar mounts. Both got the larger 13X2.5" rear drum brakes. The 9.5" rear axle can handle quite a bit of power as there are a few DMAX powered trucks running with them in em now.

I am wondering if the 9.5" ring gear 14 bolt has the axles retained by the bearing retainer or by C clips? Break an axle....loose a wheel? :yikes:

C clips I believe IIRC.

Thanks again and for the wheel cylinder tip. Gives me something to look for at the bone yard.
You said "The 9.5" 14 bolt can be found in 1500 trucks with sway bar mounting pads on it, " so does that mean the 5 lug could get the 9.5" also?

Thanks again and for the wheel cylinder tip. Gives me something to look for at the bone yard.
You said "The 9.5" 14 bolt can be found in 1500 trucks with sway bar mounting pads on it, " so does that mean the 5 lug could get the 9.5" also?

There is rumored to have been a FEW 1500 diesel 2 wheel drives that got the 9.5" rear axle with 5 lugs, but I have never seen one or found one in a search online. I'm sure that getting a set of axles made that are 5 lugs wouldn't be that hard, but probaly tough to find 5 lug drums for the 13 X 2.5" brakes. I have seen the 11" drums though in a 5 lug so that may be teh avenue to go for 5 lugs.

OK, I was just asking because if they happend to be readily available I would look for one and at worst case swap the 5 lug shafts for 6 lug. I'll just hold out for a SF 9.5" 6 lug.

Seems strange going down in lugs. I want more, for another project, my Ramcharger.
Hey why not go with a disc brake conversion? I have seen kits and individual parts to do the job. A caliper bracket for the 9.5 may not be that hard to source. I know kits are available to convert the floater 14 bolts to discs, big ones with parking brakes. And the prices wont brake :) the bank.

Yeah I know its wierd. I think its very good looking to have 6 lug on a crew cab, gives me more wheel choices too.

I would consider rear disc's, but its alittle more work and cost.
I wonder if the new body style trucks axle are a bolt in deal?

This is something I have learned from being on gmt400. The Diesel K1500s like mine have the 14b sf rear end in them so thats another posible source, the 4wd 14b sf axle is 6 lug, in fact its most likely the same unit used in the K2500LD. The 1500s with the F44 option were essentially 2500 6 lug trucks or at least thats what mine seems to be. My rpo list mentioned a Heavy Duty chassis option which is the F44 code.
Another use of the 5 lug 14b sf in non diesels is the 454ss model. Some of those got the G80 limited slip diff. However it is narrower then the K1500/2500 LD unit.

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2

I've been reading alot and think you are correct. But Im changing direction for now I found these http://www.cutthroat4x4.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=55 and am thinking of doing my own version or just buying a set.
These are hubs that allow me to convert my 8 lug ff to a 6 lug full floater. They could save alot of hassle of not changing out axles and I get to keep the heavy duty FF axle!
Any thoughts?

I've been reading alot and think you are correct. But Im changing direction for now I found these http://www.cutthroat4x4.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=55 and am thinking of doing my own version or just buying a set.
These are hubs that allow me to convert my 8 lug ff to a 6 lug full floater. They could save alot of hassle of not changing out axles and I get to keep the heavy duty FF axle!
Any thoughts?

I would say just buy that set up, rock it with your big brake kit in the front and be happy lol

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2

It is neat with a 500$ influx of cash you can down convert your 8 lug floaters to 6. But to what end? The 500$ of the conversion would more than cover the premium of 8 bolt after market wheels over 6 bolt ones. Not intending to be a/an ******* (I put those * in :) ) just trying to understand if there is logic here. Now if you had a 1/2 ton 6 bolt 4X4 and wanted to upgrade to a 14 bolt 10.5...
To each ...

Absolutely no logic. I do thing sometimes just because I can. Machining my own hubs will be much cheaper. I just like the uniqueness of it and really like the way a 6 lug crew cab looks. Along with the Big brake kit up front I think it will do well.

Back