• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Scanner / ECM communication failure

matuva

Tropical 6.5er
Reaction score
New Caledonia. An island in south west pacific, cl
Good day all,

yesterday, I tried to reprogram a set of remote keyless controlers via the OBD-2 port, and the truck didn't respond.

I hooked my laptop to the port, and found that the scanner couldn't communicate with the ECM.

I have met this problem of communication with few trucks. Sometimes it was just because a fuse was blown, but sometimes, all fuses are OK and I still can't communicate with the ECM.

This is not easy for diagnosing :rolleyes5:

Does it ring a bell to one of you guys?

Al, I had a no connect problem with the cable that came with carcode. It is a two piece cable, if yours is like that maybe there is a poor connection between the cables. One of my cables was NFG so a new one was sent out.

Leo, I tried the scanner another truck, and it did connect with no problem.

I already had a problem like that, and it was the cigarette lighter which was blown. This fuse was certainly powering part of ECM circuit. But this time, the fuse is fine...

Check the grounds. If the ECM has low voltage or a bad ground it WILL NOT enter diagnostic mode. Check battery voltage. After checking the OBD-2 port connector and getting the correct voltage make sure you check the Memory power wire and ECM power wire for the correct voltage. A bad ignition switch will brown out a ECM for example.

Check voltages and wires before replacing the ECM...

Back