• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Scan Tool

armed infidel

Reaction score
Heres the deal. I live out in the middle of nowhere and am tired of driving over a hundred miles every time I wonder about something on my '01 LB7. What scan. tool will allow me to plug in and KNOW what my truck is doing? What will read injector stats, balance rates etc? Transmission?

Cost is of course a concern but not as much as detailed diagnosis. What would be the number 1,2, ans 3 choices?

thanks in advance.

1) Actron scanner at $125 or so will give you all the codes and allow reset but no balance rate, trans codes, BCM stuff.
2) Tech 2 - What the ASE mechanics use. Pricey - think a grand+ IIRC
3) EFI V2 - Not sure of the cost ($1000?) but it gets you tuning and reading alot of data but I doubt it does BCM stuff.

Just my partially knowledgable 2 cents

I would just go with EFI Live or Edge, both have alot of tools and can also clear/reset codes.....best bang for the buck

1) Actron scanner at $125 or so will give you all the codes and allow reset but no balance rate, trans codes, BCM stuff.
2) Tech 2 - What the ASE mechanics use. Pricey - think a grand+ IIRC
3) EFI V2 - Not sure of the cost ($1000?) but it gets you tuning and reading alot of data but I doubt it does BCM stuff.

Just my partially knowledgable 2 cents

Not sure if I am doing this right so yell at me if not. Thanks for the response Mike. I went to ebay and looked for the EFI V2. Found these 2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EFI-Live-Fl...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4170cd71b1&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EFI-Live-Fl...Parts_Accessories&hash=item53e9982c93&vxp=mtr

They appear the same but one is $400 cheaper. What am I missing?

The cheaper one is just a scanner. A V2 is the 2 VIN license tune system. I would recommend it if you can afford it. Just a scan system isn't a heck of alot better than a reader that you can get for $125. If you only want to stay with a stock tune then you don't need a V2 but once you go to another tune you'll never want stock again.
Others will probably check in that have experience with EFI.

I heard that some tuners can also run balance rate checks. I think it was Diablo Sport. Maybe someone can confirm this.

Sounds like what your looking for is a Tech 2.

Recall reading in the owner's manual (oops, did I just admit that out loud???) that the Edge Insight has the balance flow feature, reads most (if not all) of the OBDII inputs, and reads / reset codes; cannot verify the flow feature as this is not something that the Burb sends to the ECM. The Edge also doubles as a gauge display and allows user configurable alerts. And just to clarify, the Edge monitor *without* programming capabilities.

Back