• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Removing RTV and gaskets? Removing Anerobic stuff "The Right Stuff"

schiker

Reaction score
I googled and saw one tip to use Ammonia to remove RTV. Permatex also makes RTV remover. I usually just scrape, scrape, and scrape. WD40 scotch bright scour then brake cleaner to finish. What do ya'll do?

I tried some permatex gasket remover and it seemed ok but you still have scrape off excess gasket first if the gasket is thick.

What about Anerobic sealers like the Right Stuff. Any removers for those?

Scrape off the big chunks by hand first. Then you can spray it with 3M decal remover. Be careful with that stuff it'll strip the paint off of anything. It's also horrible for most anything made of petroleum.

Small 90* 1/4" air powered die grinder with a 3M scotch lock pad will take it off and leave the metal like new. Great for oil pans.....ect

I tried all of the above on my Teds swap and the 90 die grinder with the 3m pads was most efficicent. I did use the Harbor Freight version to save money and the pretty much last the same. Do get heavy stuff off first with scraper first

Well Ammonia did not do much of anything. I tried some caulk and silicone remover from The home depot again not much but did remove some very thin layers.

Did you try the Permatex RTV silicone dissolver? It says it will remove The right stuff too. I ordered some from Ebay so will try that for grins on something. I also see some Loctite chisel which is paint stripper. The problems with the die grinder and Loctite chisel is it will take off the paint too. This time I am working on something fairly new with paint. If it was an older engine I would grind away.

Internet lore says Ethyl Lactate will soften it and help remove thin layers after you scrape off excess. But good luck finding it. Its a specialty chemical not at any local place.

Back