• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rear speaker replacement

SnowDrift

Ultra Conservative. ULTRA!
Reaction score
Ok, I know this isn't an engine question, but I think we all understand why such things get posted in here. :D

Anyhow, does anyone have any further tips on removing the trim panel over the rear window in an ext. cab or regular cab truck in the '88-98 range? The trick is to get this panel out without breaking the tabs on the ends and I've not done it successfully (three trucks like this).

I have to access the rear speakers in the pillars and the panel has to come out first, in order to pull the pillar trim back. Usually I end up breaking the tabs and putting in screws to hold it in place. The panel cost is about $50 from the dealership. If anyone has done this successfully, I'm all ears!

This began here...

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7532

Last edited:
You're not alone.I've broken them on 5 different trucks. Really kind of a crappy way to hold the plastic on if you ask me. They should have had screws to start out with. The metal clips won't release sometimes even after the trim piece is removed.

I was really hoping for something like "oh, the trick to that is..." :smile5:

I guess I'll be patient and if that fails, I'll be using screws again. Thanks guys.

I pulled the trim piece down in the middle just enough to put my hands in. I stuck my hands all the way to the back and started pushing down on the clips to release them. One of the 5 broke, but I still have the rest. After that, I bowed it down and pushed outward on the pillars until it was past the tabs that typically break off. It was a struggle, but it's down with minimal damage. I think I'll take some photos of the piece. Maybe that will help someone in the future, too.

There is an interior trim toolkit made that helps a lot when removing interior panels. I don't know what it is, but those GMT-400 panels are a PITA.

Does that tool kit you mentioned help with the door clips, too?

I think I'm going to have to remove the door panel again. I put the foam boots on the door speaker and learned they're too big and the window hits when it rolls all the way to the bottom. I'll have to cut the back off like I did with the passenger side.

Back