• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rear Driver Side Caliper Stuck Yesterday, Fine Today

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
Noticed "that smell" when I got outta my Cummins yesterday after running some errands. Walked all around it and could see the Heat Wave coming off the Caliper / Rotor. So I threw some Snow on it and it instantly evaporated.

So I let it sit until this morning until I could look at it. Got it Jacked up and the Wheel is not Locked anymore. Caliper isn't Dragging. Hit the Brakes, Wheel Locks up, let go, it's Free. Cracked the Bleeder and did the Routine, and all the Fluid that came out was Clear and no Air Bubbles.

Did a full Brake Fluid Flush at the end of this past Summer and Brakes have been Perfect until Yesterday.

What would cause it to act like that outta nowhere?

I had a nissan 240 that the rear brakes would intermittently lock up. Then one day they almost fully locked up. It ended up being the master cylinder was going bad. It could be worth a look.

Ordered a Caliper. We'll see when it gets here if that's the problem. Hopefully it is.

It was heating up on me again before, but not as bad, also didn't drive as far as I did yesterday though.

From the looks of it, only the Inboard Side is causing the Problem.

Sounds like it could be salt belt related? Is the caliper siezed on the pins & bushings? That's the first thing that comes to mind when you said the inboard side was the main issue.

Salt! That's what made my rears stop floating and ate the RR rotor. Right side always gets it worst and from the pics you've posted I'm not surprised to see you having trouble.

That's what I was thinking too, since we got Hit with a few Snow Days, there is crazy Salt on the Roads.

When I pulled the Slide Pins out, they were Dry as Bone and had some Dust / Dirt Caked on them, so I put some Caliper Grease on them when I Reinstalled.

I've seen brake hoses cause symptoms like this. They deteriorate inside blocking the applied pressure from escaping.

Yea, I read about the Hose as well, but that's usually on 20+ Year Old Vehicles, this thing is an '06 with only 65k on it.

But I guess anything is possible.

Parking park has zero effect on calipers.

Rule of thumb is 10 years but like all things, shit can happen, :(

My hoses on the van are original, yikes, lol, and now I said something, its going to bite me in the ass, :eek: :rof:

Back