• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

RCI fuel purifier??

CUCV

Reaction score
I have one of these things under my truck. Looks like a fuel seperator with a heating element. It's a model FP 50 made by RCI.

Their website says it's awesome.

I have yet to see anyone else driving around with one of these things. Anyone know anything about it? I'm always skeptical of a companies claims until I talk to someone that uses the product.

At any rate, it's not in the way and doesn't seem to be bothering anything, so unless I hear otherwise, I'll leave it alone. The P.O. paid $435.50 for the thing and $102.00 for labor to put it in!!!

Didn't do anything to prevent that block crack though....

Look in the stickies for test and test lift pump flowrate. If you are getting adequate flow I'd leave it be. Unless it clogs with goop it probably won't hurt anything..

How well is it working? Have you drained much water or crud from it? If it is removing stuff well should be an acumulation of stuff in it. That would be a good indicator as well as some extension of stock filter life. Vortex or swirl chamber filters are a proven technology.

I have only gotten water out of my stock filter once. From some bad fuel (from a truck stop). Have read others with Racor pre lift pump filters see more water taken out. I wonder if water seperation works better from a vacuum side of a lift pump???

The P.O. drained religiously and I did about once a month or so. Nothing impressive ever cam out of it so either the fuel was clean or the stuff coming out wasn't real noticeable. I had no fuel problems other than I found very small metal filings- almost like metal powder in the fuel filter I took out during the engine transplant. Now, I replaced the LP just because I had no idea how old it was & who made it and wanted to start with a clean slate when I bought it. So the LP is 4 months old and was just wondering how long these filing have been floating around. Not sure what's related, but since the whole truck was out of service and on a lift, I've been going over everything with a fine-toothed comb inspecting and replacing faulty hoses, clamps, grounds, fittings, gaskets, whatever.

Thanks for the info that the technology is sound. How often should it be drained? Maybe I should wait like 6 months to see if more stuff is collected in the bowl.

Fuel really depends on where you buy it and how long you store it in tanks. Any station can get low or have a bad filter and you could get a tank of less than perfect fuel at any time. And why a fuel pressure gauge is recommended. I should have noted this is even more recommended when any extra filtration is added too. But with good fuel stations and regular driving keeps it clean normally. And most never experience a problem.

Since the fuel continuously circulates in the truck its filtered over and over again so it should be clean. But you do get some build up in the tank over time so good maintenance of an additive is recommended at least occasionally even if you don't like additives for the IP/engine. Sometimes biofuels will break loose a build up or clean stuff that regular diesel won't. So don't let stuff build up. If tank is questionable run a heavy dose of cleaner and then change filter. Really bad may have to drop tank and clean but most don't could just add more cleaner and maybe change filter sooner a couple times to monitor.

GM has had problems with tanks delaminating internally probably where flakes came from from before the prefilter or from a wearing lift pump maybe. Clean the filter bowl out each time you change filter. It will keep IP safe if you use good filter change practices (don't just follow the gm owners manual clean the bowl out).

Your call on maintenace interval.
I am guessing drain every 7 -10K miles or every other oil change and at filter change at 15K. If you don't see anything drain it at 15-20K with filter (at least annual). Let it sit in an air tight clear container and look at it after some time to see if stuff settles out. If your stations are clean extend it out some more. Watch the trend. All depends on enviroment and usage etc. You really can't hurt anything over changing it (except your wallet) if you use good practices.

I have one of these things under my truck. Looks like a fuel seperator with a heating element. It's a model FP 50 made by RCI.

Their website says it's awesome.

I have yet to see anyone else driving around with one of these things. Anyone know anything about it? I'm always skeptical of a companies claims until I talk to someone that uses the product.

At any rate, it's not in the way and doesn't seem to be bothering anything, so unless I hear otherwise, I'll leave it alone. The P.O. paid $435.50 for the thing and $102.00 for labor to put it in!!!

Didn't do anything to prevent that block crack though....

Sorry but that just made me laugh :haha: Most companies rant about how awesome there product is. Almost as bad as every company ranting about how lo there prices are:rolleyes5:

Either way, if its as simple as opening a fuel petcock and draining it than I say while your under the truck for an oil change(assuming you change your own oil), just pop it open for the hell of it.

Thats an awful expensive filter though... The P.O. must have either run Bio diesel at some time and had issues with filtration, got a really bad batch of fuel, or has a thing for super clean fuel. Do you have pictures of this thing mounted on the truck?

I can snap a pic. I should be finishing up the engine transplant on Friday and I'll be under the lift bolting up the pipes to the exhaust manifolds anyway. The PO had 2 diesel subs. He was a quirky dude. Had these things on both of them. Raved about them. Never said how they saved his butt or any other interesting story, though. He used to spray paint the chassis with rustoleum. It's a nice feature because the big chunks of rust stick to the rustoleum nicely and leave a more concentrated pile of debris on the ground. Less dust!

Before I give him or his mechanic any kudos, those 2 mounted a tank type coolant heater but the factory block heater cord was hidden under the fuse box and appeared to never have been used. Thinking maybe they didn't know it was there........

Schiker stated, GM has had problems with tanks delaminating internally! I replaced my original tank from 96 back in May of 09 because of this problem!

Back