• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Quick & effective method of removing stubborn lower intake gasket remnants

drag sgt

Reaction score
I was unlucky the other day and had the upper intake thread tab break in half on my lower intake, so I had to source a yard unit and am in the process of replacing it. I don't know whether this is just 26 year old original gasket material or at some point it was replaced and glued on, but basically the bottom layer of the old gasket didn't come off. Now I'm left with a very stubborn material that wont' come up, and just kinda "mulches" the top layer when using a scraper. I tried using a small screwdriver to hopefully get under and lift, but no luck (and I don't want to scratch it too much). I'm really not looking forward to trying to get the pieces out from underneath the top radiator hose.

Is gasket remover effective? Or should I resort to something more aggressive like a small roloc bristle disc?

PXL_20240910_041256078.jpgPXL_20240910_041259122.jpgPXL_20240910_041307995.jpg

Yeah, I'd be worried about the connectors and wiring if I went at it with a full torch. I do have a mini one my wife got me in a whisky smoking kit though, so I may try that as I can get the flame pretty small and controlled.

Yeah, I'd be worried about the connectors and wiring if I went at it with a full torch. I do have a mini one my wife got me in a whisky smoking kit though, so I may try that as I can get the flame pretty small and controlled.
Any thing that will heat the gasket will help to release the elastomers thats binding them onto heads and maneeefold.

Back