• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Question about my front diff......

Twisted Steel Performance

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Reaction score
My truck is a 91 GMC K2500, I have the front differential that has the half shafts...
To lock the front in 4X4, there is a cly that from what I understand heats up and somehow locks the front axle in. It does work but it takes a little while for it to lock in, I have it wired to a toggle switch on the dash and not the stock switch.

The question is ... is there anyway to go a different route than the stock way, I mean is there anything that I could purchase that would work better than the stock cly thingy??

2 options that I know of. 1st is to use the newer actuator that is electric and not heated (I believe the push button 4x4s use it). 2nd is a manual pull cable. Me I'd opt for the electric, you will have to mod the wiring a lil bit

GM quit using and even making the heated type actuators mid year 97 due to slow engagement and failures. The kit to convert over cost me about $200 for the last one I did, or you could go to a junk yard and pick one up out of a 98+ truck and make sure and get the 6 pin plug with it. Or for about $225 you can go with a posi lock cable set-up.

Technical Service Bulletin
File In Section: 4 Drive Axle

Bulletin No.: 76-43-01A

Date: September, 1998

Subject:
Slow or no Engagement of Front Axle when 4WD is selected (Replace Front Axle Actuator)

Models:
1988-97 Chevrolet and GMC K Models
excluding 1988-93 Models over 8500 # GVW

This bulletin is being revised to add information to the Service Procedure, add a new part number, and include schematics. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 76-43-01 (Section 4 - Drive Axle).

Condition

Some owners may comment that the colder the outside temperature is, the longer it takes for the front axle to engage when 4 wheel drive is selected, or the front axle does not engage.

Cause

The front axle engagement actuator is a thermally activated component. Because of this characteristic, the time required for the actuator to complete 4 wheel drive engagement is extended as the temperature drops.

Correction

Replace the front axle actuator and include the applicable wiring harness kit. Refer to the Parts Information in order to determine which wiring harness kit is needed.

1996 model trucks with a build date on or after January 2, 1996 are considered as "961". If the build date of the truck is unknown, verify the 3 character "axle code" on the front axle label in order to determine which wire harness to order.

This new actuator uses a motor to engage the front axle and is not affected by temperature. On 1988-93 models with a GVW rating over 8500$, the new actuator cannot be installed and the thermal actuator will remain the service part.
26060073 Actuator Asm, Frt Drive Axle 1

Remove or Disconnect

Skid plate (if equipped).
Electrical connector from the indicator switch located on the upper right side of the differential.
Indicator switch (11).
Install or Connect

Indicator switch (11).
Coat the switch thread with sealer (GM P/N 1052942) or equivalent.
Electrical connector.
Skid plate (if equipped).

I found on Rockauto they list a screw in type steel part with no wires,,, it looks like this metal plug keeps the front axle engaged all the time, and I would only move the stick to engage the case when needed?? Would it hurt anything in the front end to have it locked all the time like this?? I have read where it doesn't hurt anything and even helps keep the front diff lubed... If this will not hurt anything in the front end I might just go this way?? I don't use 4X4 much, but I would like it to be there when I do need it...

I found on Rockauto they list a screw in type steel part with no wires,,, it looks like this metal plug keeps the front axle engaged all the time, and I would only move the stick to engage the case when needed?? Would it hurt anything in the front end to have it locked all the time like this?? I have read where it doesn't hurt anything and even helps keep the front diff lubed... If this will not hurt anything in the front end I might just go this way?? I don't use 4X4 much, but I would like it to be there when I do need it...

That is teh AWD plug tha the all wheel drive vehicles used. it doesn't hurt it, but it sure doesn't help the CV's turning with some load on them all the time, or your front driveshaft to spin all the time either.

I have the Posi-Lok and like it. All it takes to lock in the front axles is a pull on the cable. Sometimes the rig needs to be rolled forward or backward a bit, just like all the older mechanical TC and hub locks to line up the parts so they mesh.

Don

Back