• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pump rub grenade

dieselkidd04

Reaction score
Ok, so i guess it didnt grenade but ive got noise @ 65-70 mph along with vibration. Checked out the t-case and found excessive play at the driveshaft at the output of the t-case, located hole in case and drained oil which had signs of metal. I wont have it apart to get the extent of damage until tomorrow afternoon but i am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for parts suppliers. I know for a fact ill need the updated rear case, pump plate and output bearing, just wondering if merchant is the way to go or???

Ferman may know of a different source besides Merchant. I think Duramax store and maybe All Season diesel. I sent Ferman a PM so he'll check in soon I'm sure.

MERCHANT I know has all the parts to do it. Theres also an Ebay seller selling the new 07+ style aluminum rear transfer case half for it. I would open it up first to make sure the damage isn't any bearings or bushings so you know exactly what all you need. Also there is an Ebay seller that sells the nylons for the shift forks that are so hard to find.

Pictures above from texts sent by Jim (OP)

I'm not too good with the forum from my android yet. I had tapatalk down pat but this is a bit different.

As you can see from the above pics i removed and disassembled the t-case,
As soon as i lifted the rear section off the bushing from the rear case fell out(obviously runout and broken), further inspection led me to damage to the output shaft bearing but that was it, looks like i pulled it apart before it took out any gears or other bearings.

They dont look bad, normal signs of wear.One thing that I am wondering is if that bushing for the output shaft comes pressed into the new rear housing or if I need to order that separate?

They dont look bad, normal signs of wear.One thing that I am wondering is if that bushing for the output shaft comes pressed into the new rear housing or if I need to order that separate?
I believe all of them I've seen are with the bushing and look like THIS

Nice avatar Jim... Looks eerily familiar...:rolleyes:

Replace the nylons while your in there. Last thing you want is to have them break right after you get it put back together and have to do this again.

Well i got all my parts pretty quick (merchant), rear case, nylon shift bushings, output bearing and snap ring, updated pump plate and full seal kit, my front output seal for the driveshaft was also leaking so i am doing all of the seals on the case, just have to find a seal puller for the two front seals. I was going to try the old self tapper trick but the seals are too narrow for that and i dont want to damage the case, if anyone has any ideas that would help.

I got the input seal out ok, removed the planetary for cleaning and inspection( when i first looked down into the case i noticed a peice of metal that fell down into the planetary gearset. Anyhow at this point my slip yoke for the drive shaft is still in the case, i had to remove thw ujoint to get the driveshaft out of the way, my front output seal was leaking so that slip yoke had to come out... Well it didnt, i tried pb blaster, acetone w/atf soaking for 24hrs, eventually ended up heating the output shaft until it was glowing which i knew would weaken the shaft but the yoke wouldnt move, i torched it in half and will be replacing the front output shaft, bearing and seal. Im womdering if anyone knows where i can find a slip yoke???

Back