• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Program or not? New to me LBZ towing 14,000#'s

Slippery

Reaction score
I just picked up a 73K GMC SLT Crew 4WD short LBZ, and will be towing a double tag car hauler to Moab Utah from Atlanta, weighing approximately 14000#'s.

I did this last year with an 01' and got about 9 MPG running 80 or whatever in strong headwinds much of the way. We were loaded heavy. I had installed a Diablosport Predator towing 30hp program, even though it had an aftermarket air intake and exhaust system and could have gone higher, but wanted to realize the best MPG possible.

The new LBZ is completely stock. Limited budget so not going with the on-board changeable programs and gauges.

Is there a better buy than a $279 Diablosport Predator?
Should I buy another Diablosport Predator or stay witht he stock program?
If yes, what program should I install?

If your looking for small power, I would recommend the Hypertech or the Diablo. Both are good. I would really suggest looking into gauges. Program or not, you're pulling a lot of weight and it would be a good idea to keep a close eye on things.

Welcome to the site!

What 8100 said. And I've driven Nicks truck with a PREDATOR and I was VERY impressed with how smooth it drove, and it had a good kick to it when you got on it.

The predator is the best bang for your buck hand held tuner out there. For the price, you cant beat it. I've run it on several different trucks and currently running the 85 tune.

Last edited:
I tow around 14k with my stock LBZ from time to time and have no complaints about the power. However, I am only running 2 lane rural highways so I never see ove 60 mph. If I was running hard on the interstate like you I would sure look into a programmer and gauges as the guys suggested.

BTW, welcome to The Truck Stop!

I don't have and LBZ but I have a Predator and like it a lot. It seems to be faster than all the other plug in programmed trucks I've raced. My buddy has a Bully Dog and i whoop on him plus his truck is a little lighter bein just a reg cab. He runs his highest setting while I'm on 65.

If you're towing heavy like that, a set of gauges is cheap insurance to let you know just whats going on inside your motor. an EGT gauge is priceless when pulling heavy, up hills. You can hit 1350 degrees EGT's stock while pulling heavy and a programmer is *usually* gonna make it hotter. Of curse, a lot of it depends on your right foot and how much weight you're pulling.

One of the biggest improvements would be a full turbo back exhaust system. They're really not loud but really help the motor breathe, not to mention a couple hundred degrees cooler exhaust temps. Exhaust systems are very beneficial on these trucks. A big fat 4" pipe can work wonders for your mileage, performance and low end beans. Plus, your turbo is gonna be loud, which most of us kinda like.

There are some free intake upgrades as well that you could do to help you get started with helping it breathe better. You dont have to change the intake because it flows plenty well and nothing out there outfilters it, just pop a couple pieces off the actual air box to open it up a bit. These new stule intakes starting in the 2006 model year are light years ahead of the older 01-05 styles. If you're interested, I'll post some pictures of how to get that started.

The lowest tune for the Predator is the 45 h.p. towing tune. I've actually pulled around 8500 lbs with my 04.5 LLY and my temps never got much higher than 1250 degrees. 1200 isn't all that hot either. I've heard of people running 1600 degrees sustained and not causing any damage, although, you couldn't catch me running that hot. A brief spike is one thing, sustained temps like that is another.

These tunes all do the same thing. I've run PPE, Hypertech, Edge, Predator and Superchips between 2 trucks. It all comes down to your personal choice of what you like. Each tune was awesome but different in their own unique way. Some made the throttle stiffer but had a very defined spot to where it's starting to make its power. Some felt completely dead down low but had incredible top end. Others made the throttle super sensitive and very light on its feet. Some smoke like a freight train wile others give a mild haze at WOT. They just each have their own feel but ultimately do the same thing. It all comes down to what YOU like. So basically, there is no "best" programmer out there. I think everyone can agree that if you're asking about tuning products, EFI live is the cats ass and nothing can even come close to comparing to that. But for $300, the Predator is pretty damn hard to beat.

One of the biggest improvements would be a full turbo back exhaust system.

There are some free intake upgrades as well that you could do to help you get started with helping it breathe better. If you're interested, I'll post some pictures of how to get that started.

Any brand you recommend on the exhaust that won't ROAR at optimum rpm's?
What should I pay installed?
Buy a kit, or use a custom muffler shop?

Thanks for the intake info. Please post a pic or link.

Thank you.

MBRP is pretty popular and very reasonably priced. I initially ran Magnaflow on my 04 but that droned way too much for my liking. I ended up switching out the mufflers to MBRP and the drone was gone. The MBRP muffler was 8" longer than the Magnaflow, which no doubt added to the resonance.

When you're ready, one of our site sponsors here can get you set up with the system that you need. Get the kit and you can even install it yourself. I would not use a custom muffler shop. Most places dont stock 4 or 5" tubing. Buy the kit from a manufacturer that designs them for your specific truck. There are many out there. And these are like programmers. They all sound pretty much the same. Different metals can range the price but an MBRP system will NOT break the bank.

Here's a picture of the inside of an MBRP muffler. The little humps are the louvers which are open on the opposite end. The exhaust is supposed to flow over the humps, not into the openings on the opposite side. You can see that there are no chambers or any real restriction at all.

Here's a video of an MBRP 4" turbo back with the catalytic converter removed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iDsc-Mm79c

Attachments

• MBRP.jpg
    MBRP.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Here's pictures of the intake that's been removed. You can easily pop the entire intake right out of the engine bay. Once you get it out, you'll notice that the blue Donaldson filter is visible from the open end.

At the open end, you'll see a fan looking thing where the air enters from the fender well. The fan looking piece snaps on and off from the air box. Unsnap it.

Get something to cut out the inners of the fan looking piece, leaving the plastic ring with the rubber piece. You're just taking the blades out of it, leaving the ring. Pop the ring back onto the air box and simply reinstall the intake.

Its as simple as that. It's gonna be breathing a lot easier.

Attachments

• HPIM0602, 2.jpg
    HPIM0602, 2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 4
  • HPIM0943.jpg
    HPIM0943.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 4
  • HPIM0944.jpg
    HPIM0944.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 5
On edit: Get Gauges first!!

As far as tuners go, here's what I know: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=17561

Disclaimer: I do not have any affiliation with nor do I sell any product from any of the companies whose products are described below. Your results may vary.

I have just completed phase one of a months long completely unscientific tuner evaluation. Thanks to Unit453 and Cougar281 for their trust and support. They will probably have their own thoughts and I would love to hear them also.

The truck involved was an extended cab long bed 2006 Chevy Duramax LBZ. The one in my sig, running Cooper 285s on Procomp 16x8" wheels. Stock exhaust, and stock intake, Autometer Cobalt Boost and EGT gauges.

The tuners involved were: Superchips FlashPaq, Diablo Predator, and PPE Xcelerator. PPE was only tested to level 4, I was afraid for my stock trans.

I'll rank sotp/unscientific test evaluations.

Throttle Response: 1. Diablo 2. SCT(close second) 3. PPE

The Diablo makes the truck feel very "light on it's feet" on the 85 setting, very driveable and responsive, the best feeling tune of any. On the 120 setting, the shifts defueled hard and came early. The SCT on #3 (Performance Level) was a very close second. All levels of the PPE came on much slower and had far less throttle response, my wife called them "doggy"

EGTs (Lower is better) 1. PPE 2. SCT 3. Diablo

PPE was the king of the hill, substantially lower EGTs than the others. SCT was a fair bit higher. Diablo was smokin'. 1500F was not uncommon on the 85 tune, and 1300+ was almost unavoidable on the 120 tune. WOT got really hot really fast. Remember this is a stock exhaust (until Friday, thanks to Chad at Alligator).

Smoke (Less is better) 1.SCT 2. Diablo 3. PPE

SCT gives a little haze on the highest setting at WOT. Diablo will throw some smoke but must be on the highest setting, 85 and below are clean. PPE on level 4 smokes like it's on fire, lots of fun for tailgaters!

Mileage I have no idea, I quit bothering to keep track. It was all over the place, my right foot has a mind of it's own.

Flashlight drag 1. SCT 2. Diablo (PPE not tested due to weather conditions and scheduling issues)

This was the most surprising result to me. Using Jahesh's truck as a control, we used a hill we both know and tested the Diablo 85 and 120 tunes against his tuck running the same SCT top level tune.

Results:

Both of us running the same SCT top level tune, I just edged him out. Probably due to weight difference.

Me with Diablo on 85. He walks away, I was shocked. Repeated several times with the same result.

Me with Diablo on 120. He walked away even more, I think the massive defueling during shifts/short shifting was to blame.

Slippery, I'm a fan of the DiabloSport Predator tuner. I ran it in 3 different Dmax's and love it all three. I would say you would see a small gain running it on the small towing tune even pulling that much weight behind you. I don't know if I would go to the 85hp tune (middle tune) pulling that much weight, but that is just my two cents. I don't know if you would pick up that much in MPG's running that one. But like Nick said, a set of guages with 14k behind you would be invaluable. Opening up the exhaust would be a good thing too as where you are going to, you are going to be hitting some decent grades and the EGTs are going to get up there. And when you are talking exhausts, that is maybe more of personal preference then tuners are. I'm a big fan of MBRP exhaust and have ran the 5" turbo back systems on my '06 Dmax and my current '04 Cummins. You will hear it a little more then the 4" system I think, and some are for and some are against a 5" system. Personally, I like the look and the sound. And yes, either system, you will hear the turbo much more then the stock system especially if you get rid of the cat. And like Nick said before, most of us here have no problem hearing the turbo a little more.

I don't run a tuner and probably won't ever, just don't have the desire to. For a stock truck, mine makes what I would consider rather healthy power and I don't feel the need to mess with it.

I run a MBRP 304SS exhaust with a cat delete pipe and it's not objectionable at all. Very quiet and tame at cruising speeds and normal throttle levels. The whine from the turbo is much more noticeable.

At WOT yes, it's loud as hell but not raspy like some Fords.

Back