• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Power Steering Fluid Temps too High?

dbrannon79

I'm getting there!
Reaction score
Hey fellas, I have been wanting to start this thread for a while but just hadn't. iirc I thing @Stoney might have had similar issues with his steering getting stiffer than normal, maybe others too. I'm hoping that maybe someone might have some help and answers to figure this one out. it's been puzzling to me.

I have had a digital oven temp probe strapped to the pressure line of my truck for the past several weeks watching how hot the fluid and steering system gets under different driving conditions and was curious what is considered normal temps and if there could be some underlying issue that would cause the issues I am seeing.

I had posted on another thread where I just rebuild my gear box over some pop noises and then swapped out my pump over some cavitation noises which both of those issues have subsided, at least until the fluid gets hot, the pump starts to whine a little and begins to get stiff on me.

after replacing the pump and finding out the new pump was a high output over the one I had installed, the steering is easy and seems fine. my current issue is when the temps of the fluid reach around 175-180 degrees (82 C) the steering wheel and brake pedal are noticeably stiffer than when temps of the fluid are at or below 150 degrees. I also hear a whine coming from the pump when I turn the wheel or step on the brake along with a slight humming vibration that is felt in the wheel and pedal. it's not overly stiff like a full out failure but it's just noticeable. Again when temps are 150 or below, everything is normal.

I have been reading online and see where temps this high shouldn't bee a problem until they reach over 200 degrees, mind you the probe is strapped to the outside of a metal pressure line and not submerged in the oil it's self.

Now with that said and out of the way, the other things I have found is as long as I am moving on the road at least over 40 mph, temps don't ever get over 150. the faster I go, like cruising at freeway speeds, the temp will get down to around 130 on the probe, but as soon as I stop and sit any time at a traffic light or creep through town, the temps start to climb. sitting at a red light for more than 2 minutes and the temp will jump up to 170+ from 150 or so, so to me that is a rapid increase. This tells me there isn't enough air flow moving over the P/S cooler. plus it's factory location isn't idea for air flow ether.

The factory cooler behind the grille off the the side near the drivers headlight, but it's only a small U-shaped loop with fins. I decided to go out on a limb and order a trans cooler to add to the system and just zip-tie to the brush guard just to see if it helped anything at all.

So with everyone's experience, what is a "normal" temp the fluid should be and when it would be a problem. also what things can I do to figure out what might be the cause for once it gets hot, things start getting stiff and giving me signs of an issue.

I know nothing on this rig is "factory" as in every steering component has been replaced and the fact that when I received the pump I know parts were mix-matched as far as the relief and flow valving. after doing some research I think I have the correct one installed made for a steering system with hydro-boost. Maybe if someone has a pump laying around can help me verify this by measuring the orifice in the flow valve and the relief spring uncompressed height.

My plan now is to try adding a small trans cooler in the steering return loop and just affixing it out front behind the brush guard in front of the grille, maybe add a couple of 4" PC fans to it (I have tons of those laying around) and see if that helps keep the oil temps at or under 150 degrees in this hellish summer heat!

Yes it was me, and still does it.. line from pump to hydro boost gets hot as hell. And it makes the front end feel weird..
I have no idea what causes it.. I do know I have not been able to get a good solid pedal in that truck in a long time.. it's weird cuz sometimes it will push down a little bit then get a fairly firm but not hard, other times it's squishy as hell. I've tried bleeding it every which way. I'm still fairly convinced to have something to do with the ABS box. Don't know if it sucks air someplace or what, everything in my steering system has been replaced at one time or another hydroboost, master cylinder ,pump ,gearbox... I am running ATF in it now instead of power steering fluid.

Back