• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Power loss

Trainedpro

Reaction score
Have 96 6.5 Suburban, after approximately 1 hour of driving I have a huge power loss. Engine still Makes RPM's my truck doesn't increase it's speed.
Any thoughts.

Already installed remote PMD + New PMD
Boost gauge (makes plenty of boost)
Nick

Have 96 6.5 Suburban, after approximately 1 hour of driving I have a huge power loss. Engine still Makes RPM's my truck doesn't increase it's speed.
Any thoughts.

Already installed remote PMD + New PMD
Boost gauge (makes plenty of boost)
Nick

Might be the turbo but it should smoke lot if it is. Can you get yours hands on a OBD 2 scanner?

I've gotten a few P0236 codes but my turbo is building 12-14psi of boost.
6 months ago I had no boost due to my vacuum pump and I still had more power than I do now.
Big issue is the temp spikes 10 degrees just driving and overheats when towing.
I was thinking I was loosing a cylinder or two but not sure.

6 months ago I had no boost due to my vacuum pump and I still had more power than I do now.

Please DO the diagnostic checklist!!! and create your own thread for that.

If I recall correctly the pcm will only tolerate 12lb sustained boost then I think it defuels to lower boost. Anyone else know more about that.

If I recall correctly the pcm will only tolerate 12lb sustained boost then I think it defuels to lower boost. Anyone else know more about that.

Correct AKDD

If coding from a boost code 0236, it can defuel if corrective action by PCM (lower boost) does not clear the code, high IAT will also cause a defuel. But what we don't know at this point, are you setting 236 before or after your issue?

Possibly you a bad (high) MAP(boost) sensor, that sets defuel for overboost. (need more info)

Do you have a scan tool that allows you to see what IAT you are seeing, and what boost is being seen at PCM. You said 10F higher temp, what is going higher, water temp ???

Fill out the diagnostic sheet as best you can we need more info before making a effective call

Is the tranny fluid full when hot? Defueling sounds like RPMs would go down, unless its also downshifting? What speeds are you talking about.

Back