• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Power brake booster slaughter

matuva

Tropical 6.5er
Reaction score
New Caledonia. An island in south west pacific, cl
Title says it all.

On this 1996 K1500, we had a power brake booster leaking worse and worse. We replaced it with a reman unit, which fails a month after.
Replaced this 2nd failed one with another fresh reman from A1 Cardone... and it last a week.

We replaced again this 3rd one with a A1 cardone unit.... 10 days after it is shot again...

So, including the stock one, that makes 4 power brake boosters that passed away in less 2 months. Also, this truck is not a daily driver, so :???:

Other than that, steering & brakes do work flawlessly...

Any idea of what could happen to kill these power brake boosters? We always use A1 Cardone reman units and never had a single return on other trucks...

Are the new ones leaking fluid at the unit? Is no fluid leaking in New Ones but it's not making the pedal operate easier? Is there anyway you can post a video of what it's doing?

I'm not sure if there's any junkyards where you live, where you can pull an old one because maybe they're rebuilding process has a flaw in it.

Make sure mc is not over-stroking due to over cut rotors,drums, or worn pads,shoes.
If the push rod is good, get $ back and buy from a different source.

Anyone else have better opinion?

There are also some trucks that had a spacer between HB unit and MC. Maybe you have wrong one??? The push rod should lightly make contact or a slight gap before you bolt the two together. It should be obvious though if its wrong.

Just a suggestion,...Maybe have a look at the rod socket in the master cylinder,it might be worn out and force the Booster rod out of line when applying the brakes .
Either that or you got 4 lemon boosters in a row

I would seriously get another brand that you are 100% sure isn't A1 cardone!!! A filter on the PS line from the cooler to the pump is a good idea at this point.

A1 cardone isn't known to be top of the line. In fact the line the are on is the bottom if even that good. I have had A1 Cardone PS pumps that, well, I am better off in a junkyard getting a used pump vs. their junk. :mad2:

Pic of shaft moved till the seal failed after 30 min of running. System full of metal allowing the shaft to move. Had to change the PS pump, booster, box, and hoses - again as all were new. Then the box blew a seal and trashed the pump from no oil. Took 3 pumps to find a good one. I have a MagnaX PS filter on the system now. Note: link is info only - not for sale there.

ps2.jpg
ps.jpg

Their excuse for a filter.

IMG-20130826-00300.jpg
IMG-20130826-00299.jpg

Back