• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

"portable" tire changer

trouttrooper

Big Blocks ROCK!!!
Reaction score
Anybody have one of these at home and change your own tires? Do they really work on full size truck and car tires? Seems like you about pay for one after a couple sets of mounting. I know I still need to get them balanced but I can get that done cheap, probably free most of the time. Just seems like I'm always needing tires mounted fro my "fleet" and the price the tire stores charge annoys me.

Just as an example

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BMGRWM/?tag=jhuntlink-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
we have something similar but probably heavier built. works ok but you better have it bolted down real good

Lol, David and I have fine tuned our tire changing process. Use a Duramax to drive up a 4x4 and pop the tire off the bead, use my bigass Craftsman screwdriver and a wrecking bar to pull the tire over the rim, repeat for the other side. Ok, so I shortened it, but that's the jist.

that must have been the explosion I heard the other day across the state line :D

I half expected an answer like that from the Devin/David duo.

I used a very old Hendricks manual tire machine for years. I still have it to do odd stuff that won't fit or work on the coats machine I have now. I have the old hendricks bolted to a piece of 3/4" plywood. When you stand on the plywood it hols it down fairly well. I didn't want to bolt it to the floor because I didn't want it there all the time. The tires that gave me the most greif to pop the beads on were 78 ford truck rims. They had a sharp edge inside to hold the bead better. Just one of the reasons I don't buy fords .

Let me guess, you use ether and loud explosions to put them back on? :D

I did with a little 12" utility trailer tire... I wanted to with these but he talked me into using an air compressor. We just left the valve stems out and used the standard rubber tipped spray nozzle to fill til bead set/half-set, install valve stem, fill to seating pressure.

No explosions, just an air compressor to seat the bead.

Mike, honestly balancing is more expensive than you think. My trailer tires (already mounted) were $40. The PY0s (mounted and balanced) were $67. Still saves a few $$$ not having to have them broken down though. You could always run dynabeads for your balancing material, although I've never tried them it sounds as if Devin may be.

Lol, David and I have fine tuned our tire changing process. Use a Duramax to drive up a 4x4 and pop the tire off the bead, use my bigass Craftsman screwdriver and a wrecking bar to pull the tire over the rim, repeat for the other side. Ok, so I shortened it, but that's the jist.

this would be a wonderful DIY write up! post a video or pictures or better yet come to ohio and show me :D

we dont use a machine, just a variety of specialty tire spoons, 2/3s of them are ken-tool brand. we also use tire soap to help with preventing bead damage getting them off.

we have a local guy that will do the balancing for 5 bucks a tire.

Guess I better charge up the camera.

We should do a How to on stripping clearcoat off wheels too, since we have to do Devin's wheels tomorrow as well.

I have had people laugh at me when I suggest this... BUT it works!

I had a friend drive from Michigan to NY in his M1008 (80s military pickup with the 6.2) to pickup a generator he bought from me. He was about a half hour away from me when one of his valvestems let loose at a rest stop. I drove up with my M1009 (80's blazer with the 6.2) and proceeded to use that to break the bead down to pop a new valvestem in. I think it took us a total of 15 minutes!

I use Ken-Tool spoons and duckbill. Use Ru-Glyde from NAPA. And if one wont seat, ether goes in it. No loud explosions here though. I dont get carried away, just enough to suck it onto the beads.

Back