• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Portable 12volt Fuel Transfer Pump

RayMich

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience using a portable fuel transfer pump?

I've been looking at this one from Northern Tools.

attachment.php

Tuthill Diesel Fuel Transfer Pump with Hoses — 12 Volt, 10 GPM, Model# FR1614

This would allow for quick and easy transfer of fuel from multiple Jerry cans, or any other type of fuel container without having to lift the container and hold it 3ft off the ground while adding fuel to the truck when you are out in the back 40 or out in the "booneys".

Attachments

• 12volt Transfer Pump.JPG
    12volt Transfer Pump.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 104
List Price is $169.99 at Northern Tools.

Here is a link to it.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200351097_200351097

Have you had any experience buying from Northern Tools?

I usually carry (2) 5-Gallon spare fuel cans in the bed, but it's a total pain in the a$$ to hold a fuel can that weighs 30 to 40 pounds 3-feet up in the air while trying to add fuel to the truck and try not to spill any of it, and it takes forever to add 5-gallons. So I am looking for something easier.

This pump seems to be quite versatile and you can use it with any fuel can or spare thank. At 10 gpm, I could be done pumping both 5-gallon cans into the truck in a little more than one minute.

Each hose on the pump is supposed to be almost 8 feet long, so I am thinking about setting up the truck with the 5th wheel trailer connector inside the bed and adding a mating connector to the pump's power cable. That way I can simply plug it in right there, and pump the fuel without even having to remove the fuel cans from the bed.

I have not but my brother works for a large Construction Co. and they buy a lot of stuff from them , no complaints.

I've bought a few things from Northern with no complaints. I generally can find the stuff cheaper elsewhere, but I think they must put some of this stuff together themselves.

Does anyone have any experience using a portable fuel transfer pump?

I've been looking at this one from Northern Tools.

attachment.php

Tuthill Diesel Fuel Transfer Pump with Hoses — 12 Volt, 10 GPM, Model# FR1614

This would allow for quick and easy transfer of fuel from multiple Jerry cans, or any other type of fuel container without having to lift the container and hold it 3ft off the ground while adding fuel to the truck when you are out in the back 40 or out in the "booneys".

Did you end up buying this pump? I am looking for one I can use for collecting WVO from different locations and I need to transfer it from tank on the ground to tank in the truck.

Did you end up buying this pump? I am looking for one I can use for collecting WVO from different locations and I need to transfer it from tank on the ground to tank in the truck.

I am planning to, but haven't bought it yet.

I read some of the comments at their website from users where they have been using it for transferring WVO. Appears to work OK for that.

I also heard about one on the XM today that has its own battery. Truckers were worried about fuel theives. It is supposed to be whisper quiet.

Got mine from Northern as well, but thru Amazon link, it was cheaper that way than through Northern directly, I modded the power plug so I could connect to my in bed power port I use for my goose neck trailer connection, or I can swap to gator clips to go direct to battery terminals. Pump runs 15 gpm, I transfer from my 50 gal in bed tank to the OEM tank have had it for about 3 years, originally xfer from 5 gal cans until I got a 50 gal boat fuel cell to keep in the bed for long haul trips

Attachments

• DCP03339.jpg
    DCP03339.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DCP03340.jpg
    DCP03340.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
My only beef with northern is that their product quality isn't that great, especially shop equipment

Got mine from Northern as well, but thru Amazon link, it was cheaper that way than through Northern directly, I modded the power plug so I could connect to my in bed power port I use for my goose neck trailer connection, or I can swap to gator clips to go direct to battery terminals. Pump runs 15 gpm, I transfer from my 50 gal in bed tank to the OEM tank have had it for about 3 years, originally xfer from 5 gal cans until I got a 50 gal boat fuel cell to keep in the bed for long haul trips

YESSS!!! :hurray:

That's exactly what I have in mind to do. Make a pigtail so I can plug it into the trailer connector in the bed. My only concern has been whether the truck wiring is heavy enough to take the amp load from the pump. Apparently it has worked well for you, so that makes me feel a lot better.

I've bee trying to order one from Northern, but every time I check, they are on back order.

Do you have any pictures of your 50 gal boat fuel cell? Where did you buy it? Is it metal or plastic?

Thanks.

I usually carry two 5 gallon fuel cans strapped down in the bed when I'm traveling. That way I have a lot more flexibility about where to buy my fuel. But my fuel cans vent through the spout, which makes them very slow to flow into the tank. Holding a fuel can that weighs nearly 40 lbs, 3-feet off the ground while the damn fuel slowly flows into the tank is a total pain (I need to find vented fuel cans). That's why, I decided to look for a portable transfer pump to pump the fuel.

With that portable pump, I should be able to leave the fuel cans in the bed while I pump the fuel into the truck's tank with it.

Attachments

• P0002526a.jpg
    P0002526a.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 11
  • P0002527a.jpg
    P0002527a.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I bought my fuel cell from Cabellas, about half cost of stainless tank, tall & narrow holds 50 gal and does not eat up much bed room or interfere with my g/n hook up. Eventually I'll have a Cummins lift pump plumbed to it and be able to transfer on the go, I built a aluminum frame around it to have lift and lock down point, have square tube on bottom of 1 side of it so tank slightly slopes to suction tube side, it also came with a float so once I put full sides on it and cant see it I'll know how much fuel is in the tank.

Attachments

• DCP03341.jpg
    DCP03341.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DCP03342.jpg
    DCP03342.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 21
Ray,
Probably too late but I have that pump. The hoses and nozzle are cheap crap but it works good and pumps pretty healthy. I use it to pump out fuel tanks for removal from houses and it has also come in handy emptying Saddle tanks on my big trucks if I had to pull them off. For the money, a great little pump. Just handle it carefully, as was said thier products are not always top notch.

Back