• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Parts interchangeability between NP243 and NP241? Different generations of NP241?

Jorge6.5

Reaction score
Im looking to switch transfer cases in my truck, currently running an NP243 push button and not a big fan of the many electronic parts. I want to swap in an NP241 t case. The ones i have been finding were mounted behind 4l60e trannys so they have a different input shaft. Can i swap the input shaft from my NP243 into an NP241?

Are there any variation between years of NP241 t cases? With the NP241 will my VSS plug match up to my trucks?

Front axle actuation wont be an issue, i have a posi lok cable on order.

Thanks

Been doing some research and found out the '94 and earlier t cases have a flange on the front output where the front drive shaft mounts. I need the yoke style, '95 and up So basically i ave to find an NP241 from '95 and newer.

Im still not 100% sure about swapping input shafts from the NP243 to the NP241, according to part numbers i have found they match up.

Were there any changes in the linkages and lever through the years? Can i use and linkage set up from any 88-98 truck?

I know there are 3 or 4 different GM versions of the 241 case. There is a right hand drop that was used in teh early 90's on the last of the old square body style BURBS and K5's, there was the early 88-93 where it only used a 2 wire switch instead of a 3 as they didn't need an input to the ECM to tell it when it was in 4 low, and the 94+ style that used a different internal linkage for the different style 3 wire switch. And I'm not certain, but I believe GM used 2 different mainshafts in them for 1500 and 2500's. I'm pretty sure they all used a 40 tooth tone wheel on the output shaft, but I believe there was 2 different types of sensors used between early and late(but not certain on that).

Thanks a lot. Looks like i need to get a fairly specific t case. Maybe one from a 99 6.5 burb will work?

Perhaps, the main shaft from my 243 will work in the 241 from a 1500, the part numbers for the two shafts are the same

Honestly I see no reason to swap if yours is working. How often do you hear of failures with the transfer case? Alot of people say it's junk because they don't like electronics, but in reality how many do you hear of failing. And when you do hear of a problem it is normally just the encoder motor that goes out or the dash switch. If your dead set on swapping in a 241, I would find one from a 94+ 2500 truck or BURB.

I just dont want it to fail me again especially when i need it most. The swap wont be an issue for me, i like piece of mind of the lever setup. Less to go wrong.
My t case now has many miles and it will sometimes grind going down the road unless i come to a stop. I just dont care for push button.

Ive found a few so far just waiting to hear back.

Thanks for all the info Theferm

My manual 4x4 grinds unless i put the truck in N and coast and is a bitch to get out of 4x4 unless I'm under ~20mph. Its just how these things are, we have 3 high mileage trucks with push button 4x4 (97-05) and they all still work. 97 has been through a couple actuators and 1 switch in 290K miles and is the community beater/mudder, the 01 8.1L Dually just lost the battle of the pump rub but is other wise fine w/ 274K, and 05 LLY dually 220K and had merchant case done along time ago but otherwise never an issue.

I have had to replace 2 tcase shift sensors on my manual 4x4 trucks and that sensor left me stranded because the front wouldnt lock up. IMO the main failure point is the front axle actuator NOT the Tcase

Im still set on the lever t case. Just got back from looking at one and might pick it up later this week all linkage included for $200

As for the front actuator, I know all about it that is why i ordered the Posi lok cable actuator. This way i can engage it myslef

I've got the Posi-lok and much prefer the positive action of a manual lock. Of course, I've always had a full manual transfer case.

Don

I've got the Posi-lok and much prefer the positive action of a manual lock. Of course, I've always had a full manual transfer case.

Don

I also prefer a manual style too, thats all i ever had in the past and never had an issue. My current GMC is the first with push button, i hate it it has failed me a few times already.

Gonna install the posi-lok tomorrow. I have sourced an entire linkage and floor lever setup and possibly a transfer case, if all goes well i should have it in the truck next week.

I've had the push buttons in the 96 and 98 both fail me. They are fine if you have it in 4wd before you are stuck. I've had to get pulled out at least 3 times because I got stuck and then tried to put them in 4 wd. They never engaged.

I was mad enough I wanted to put the straight axle with lock outs, from my 89 under one of them

I would be doing the same with the transfer case out of the 1999 but I know I don't have the time right now for it to climb to the top of the list. I have to pick my projects as I go and do not have the extra time it would take to round up the linkage and shifter.
As far as I know those parts are the same for a wide variety of gas and diesel vehicles. So you shouldn't have any trouble rounding up the parts if you choose to go that route.

Tanman, I have to ask why you want to go to a push button?

Tanman, I have to ask why you want to go to a push button?

I typically never have an issue with the push button. My 00 will be a weekend cruiser and wont see much if any off road time. I would rather have the floor space than the lever.

On a work truck I see the reason for a lever. My 93,94,95,and 06 will keep their levers.

Back