• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

NV4500 differences

William@Davis

Reaction score
Greetings, does anyone on here know if there is a difference between the 6.5 NV4500 and the 7.4 liter gas NV4500. Someone else on another forum mentioned that the bell housings are identical . Mark Hinkle suggested I ask in here as he isn’t sure if there might be a difference in input shaft diameter and splines

The only difference I'm aware of would be the years as the 92-95 GM NV4500 had a unique bellhousing to trans bolt pattern whereas 96+ used the same bolt pattern as the dodge NV4500. The Tremec 4050 and the new NV5000 are still in production units that also use only the Dodge trans to bellhousing bolt pattern

The NV4500 units behind a 6.5 also allegedly had some sort of dampener on the output shaft while the gas units apparently didn't. How important this dampener is I know not. Unless you're looking to make crazy power I wouldn't worry about this detail.

Biggest thing to consider with this transmission is using the correct fluid as the incorrect oil will cause premature wear on the synchros.

The only difference I'm aware of would be the years as the 92-95 GM NV4500 had a unique bellhousing to trans bolt pattern whereas 96+ used the same bolt pattern as the dodge NV4500. The Tremec 4050 and the new NV5000 are still in production units that also use only the Dodge trans to bellhousing bolt pattern

The NV4500 units behind a 6.5 also allegedly had some sort of dampener on the output shaft while the gas units apparently didn't. How important this dampener is I know not. Unless you're looking to make crazy power I wouldn't worry about this detail.

Biggest thing to consider with this transmission is using the correct fluid as the incorrect oil will cause premature wear on the synchros.
I read that warning label on the outside of the transmission but was unable to find Castrol Syntorq. I called my Amsoil rep and he cross referenced fluid compatibilities and suggested their GL-4 as a substitute

I read that warning label on the outside of the transmission but was unable to find Castrol Syntorq. I called my Amsoil rep and he cross referenced fluid compatibilities and suggested their GL-4 as a substitute
I use the Amsoil. But My truck has been sitting for several years. I would have to check the maintenance book to see how many miles I actually put on it.
I've heard you can run without the dampener, but haven't heard how that works for longevity

Perhaps the friend is mixing the ZF-5 in Fords with the NV 5 speed.

As noted, only differences with the NV are between years and how the hydraulics work. No differences for engines or gearing.

Ford used different gears in the ZF depending on the engine's fuel type. IIRC, the gear spread was different for diesels over the years as well.

Perhaps the friend is mixing the ZF-5 in Fords with the NV 5 speed.

As noted, only differences with the NV are between years and how the hydraulics work. No differences for engines or gearing.

Ford used different gears in the ZF depending on the engine's fuel type. IIRC, the gear spread was different for diesels over the years as well.
I believe the earlier NV4500 had a power granny gear

Back