• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Not Shifting into 4 hi/Low

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
Hey guy's I'm back after 3 years of being gone. Totaled the burb 3 years ago and finally found a truck that I may buy. It is a 1995 silverado crew cab long bed dually with 105k on it. I shifted the trans case into 4 hi and it didn't lock in and the light on the shifter didn't change either. I shifted into 4 low and it went into 2 wheel low didn't lock in. The owner says he has never used 4wd and purchased the truck with 80k on it.

I'm thinking he has never maintained the trans case but not sure. I'm wondering if it would need a new trans case or what it could be. Also Thinking I could knock some $$$ of the asking price for it. Just not sure what I could be getting into.

Thanks!

SOunds to me like the thermal actuator for the front axle has burned out. VERY common failure on trucks prior to 97. Most either go to the newer electric actuator for the front axle, or install a posi-lok cable.

Thanks! The guy told me he had to take his wife into surgery yesterday so we could work something out last night. Some guy showed up just before he left in the morning with cash. Just my luck.

Back