• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Non turbo diesel with issues

yuliank

Reaction score
My work van 6.5 diesel fuel gage kicks when van moves. If I don't drive it, just push it from the outside, gage kicks. When I drive I can't see how much fuel I have left... its that bad. Also its really weak on the uphills, and very loud. Almost makes me drive it with earplugs. Any suggestions???

Pmdcable.com has some really nice tank level sensors. Check your grounds, esp the frame ground near the tank before you condemn the tank level sensor. Biodiesel in a high concentration may clean the old sulfur build up that is making the sensor fail.

Check what kind of exhaust you have and mufflers. Look for exhaust leaks that add noise. Then you may want to add sound deadening material to the cargo van.

6.2 and 6.5 engines are known for economy not getting out of their own way. A turbo helps with the fuel turned up. Otherwise for the need of power: trade it for a Duramax cargo van. Checking the fuel filter and lift pump operation could explain a little power loss, just keep in mind what you are working with. A 4.3L V6 has more HP than the NA diesels.

Mite want to verify lift pump is putting fuel to IP also, that will limit power on hard pull if IP is starving for fuel with bad lift pump or dirty fuel filter. 6.2/6.5 NA are power challenged, also with 230+ K miles how old are injectors/IP ?

I've never worked on the van configurations but your lift pump should be similar to this even as a non turbo http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...t-Pumps-amp-OPS-operation-and-troubleshooting as far as the fuel gauge I once had one where the arm of the float became disengaged with the pivot pin and was all over the place.

I'd look at Leroys setup for better than OEM replacement, but if in a bind & just wanting to do strat up OEM type install the cheapest place I found direct replacement was a site tanks-to-pans BUT mine had same fail issues I just use my trip counter now to figure my mileage knowing how far I can go on my burb which has the big tank anyway. Make sure if trying to find a OEM style setup you specify that it is for a Diesel tank & not the gasoline tank, suction screen is different, and I'm not convinced parts in a gas float like life in Diesel fuel.

When I get to that project amongst the gazillion others I have I'll probably look very hard at Leroys setup.

Back