• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New to EFI Live..few more ?'s

9W3-HD

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought a set up from Nick (duramaxtuner) just showed up fri evening, Im guessing he is going to send me a custom tune via email and I was just wondering how that exactally worked? Will I have to adjust anything or will it be all complete? There's a lot to learn with all this.

I know that truck from Dieselplace!!!!

Efilive can be intimidating at first; we were ALL where you are at right now!

Ok, what Nick's going to do more than likely is get your stock tune, and apply a script to it - A script is basically a text file that is a checklist of changes to be made to your stock tune.

He will then save it as "yourtune" and email it back.

When you get it back you will 'flash' your new tune to the ECM of your truck.

Then you're set! You'll be tuned :)

After re-reading, I think you may be asking how to get the stock tune out of your truck??

DUH! I'm NOT thinking today, I've had awhole day of welding fence panels in the sun and it shows ;)

OK, first, plug in EFILive - Start the efilive "TUNE tool".
Input your registration information (if you haven't already, it used to be a blue card with a bunch of numbers and registration info.)
Plug in your EFILive flashscan (that's the 'box' they sent you).
It may or may not ask for your registration info again. If it does, input it.

Take your laptop, the efilive flashscan and BOTH cables (One goes to the OBDII port and one is the USB port adapter to plug in your laptop) and your truck keys.
Make sure the laptop is fully charged, sometimes it can take a few minutes to get the stock tune from your truck.

Now that you're laptop is in the driver seat witht the tune tool open, plugged into the laptop it's time to plug the other end of the flash scan into the OBDII port under the dash, mine is on near the door on the left. It looks like almost square with unequal rounded edges.

Now that the flashscan is plugged into the laptop, AND your truck, turn the ignition switch to ON (but don't start it). Turn off the A/C Heater and while the flash is taking place don't roll down any windows or doing anything that could spike the electrical system (Don't let that scare you TOO much, it's important but in two years I've thank god never had a problem sitting in my truck with the laptop listening to the radio with everything else off).
Now goto the laptop in scan and tune and look at the top buttons under the file menu -
a little past the middle on the right you're going to see a green arrow; when you run your mouse over it it's going to say "read calibration data from PCM" click that.
It's going to open a new window asking about a controller - for you, choose "LMM Duramax Diesel ECM" and Press start...

Then wait :)

The black portion is going to fill up with efilive related information, it's nothing for you but it's fun to read sometimes.
When the flash is complete it's going to tell you, press ok, and then it will say turn off the truck for 15 seconds, you turn off the truck, and hit ok on the laptop - the truck will start the count down.

You are done, you can press "close" on the countdown portion of the box and you'll be left with your stock tune info on your laptop.

This is the THE most crucial part; SAVE your stock tune, then save it again, then burn it on a CD, then email it to yourself - get the hint? ;)

Goto File - Save Tuning File As...
And name it something you'll remember - Stocker tune, initial flash, anything that will let YOU know what it is in the future.

From there, open your email program, and send the stock tune to Nick.
Usually it's in a place like /mydocs/efilive/v7.5/bins

That should be it :) Have any problems, PM me, or just post here - remember forums are only useful if questions are asked in the open, that way others can learn with you!
I'm excited you've chosen EFILive, I've posted some tunes in the LBZ section but, if you need help to convert them to your truck let me know!
Nick is also great at passing on how-to's and info; so he's another one to ask!

If you fo to his site he has some good tutorials on using EFI for the first time and the steps involved in it.

You know, I don't think there's an answer for that one, honestly.

I've seen guys that'll run no higher than the equivalent of a hypertech on level 3 - then there's the extreme running tunes that put them into 13's with a TRANSGO JR and a converter... I know of one person that dyno'd over 500 hp with just the transgo jr. and a converter. Now, I'm NOT saying that this is safe, because I don't know...

I NEED the longevity of this truck, so I stay with much more conservative tunes. I know I don't have to, and I can run much more, but, for now it's my comfort level.

One thing you're going to hear being talked about is the defuel option - although it's only my opinion, I say KEEP IT ENABLED.

I think the best thing for you to do is ask Nick what he thinks - he's got a bit more experience than I do.

Back