• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Nav Unit: DNX 9980HD installed

BoostN

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Finally got one and installed in last week. So far, I'm happy. I had the 2nd previous model to this one in my last truck. When I ordered my LML I opted out from the factory nav as they are junk (IMO) and I like the flexibility of the aftermarket units.

photo (1).jpg

Nice, I've been Eyeing that since it came out.

Lemme know how you like it.

A Good Forum for them is: kenwoodforums.com They'll let you know of all Updates for it, Problems, Hacks, Tricks, ect...

Nice, I've been Eyeing that since it came out.

Lemme know how you like it.

A Good Forum for them is: kenwoodforums.com They'll let you know of all Updates for it, Problems, Hacks, Tricks, ect...

Yea, Ive been a member for awhile.

So far is just like my last one. I'll know for sure when a get a few good weeks out of it.

Did you install yourself?

If so how hard is it in the new trucks?

Yes I did. Not bad, pop the bezel out around the radio and air. Take out 6 screws, and there is the radio. Now, the hardest part is stuffing the PAC OS 4 adapter and all the other crap in there to make it fit. It takes longer to arrange your wiring in the dash (so you can shove it in there) then in does to do anything else.

What's the price?? I'd love to get a nav setup in our Suburban, but dad's not gonna spend $1100 on an HU. Does it work with the factory XM and bluetooth?

What's the price?? I'd love to get a nav setup in our Suburban, but dad's not gonna spend $1100 on an HU. Does it work with the factory XM and bluetooth?

$1500 on Crutchfield. But you can find some on eBay a little cheaper. The PAC OS-4 keeps your factory functions of on star and bluetooth. But, the radio has Bluetooth built in so you don't need the factory BT. It will not work with factory XM, I did modify the factory antenna to work though with the HU.

I bought mine for my car but it was an off brand, Canadian company. I paid $750 and it's actually really nice, looks completely stock and is functional. I really should've gone with a Kenwood or Pioneer though. This one I have has no connections for my Sirrius, which came with the car from the factory for 1 year.

That one there Jeff looks nice in there. $1500 is a lot of scratch though to part with.

I bought mine for my car but it was an off brand, Canadian company. I paid $750 and it's actually really nice, looks completely stock and is functional. I really should've gone with a Kenwood or Pioneer though. This one I have has no connections for my Sirrius, which came with the car from the factory for 1 year.

That one there Jeff looks nice in there. $1500 is a lot of scratch though to part with.

Factory was over $2200.. You can do SO MUCH more with these Kenwood units, and the sounds quality is amazing even with the factory amp/speakers. I only gave $1250 for this one. The model behind this one (DNX 9960) is basically just like it, and it's quite a bit cheaper than the newest of course.

I do wish I could get in to set in a little farther, but I've fished and pulled wires and I'm not sure I can do it without extending the factory harness. Oh well, maybe someday when I have some free time. :rolleyes:

These days, it seems that everything they say is "plug and play" is really not. I had to cut some plastic pieces out of the inner dash to get mine to fit. Cutting hard plastic with a serrated knife is not what I'd call "plug and play", assuming they even sent me the correct CANBUS decoder, which they did not the first time.

That's enough to buy another AR....screw the Radio I would buy another AR15....

I like that. Going to have to do some research to see if the PAC adaptors will allow it to work with the steering wheel controls and DIC.

The stock system in my VW downright sucks for something that supposedly has 10 speakers.

I like that. Going to have to do some research to see if the PAC adaptors will allow it to work with the steering wheel controls and DIC.

The stock system in my VW downright sucks for something that supposedly has 10 speakers.

So does the Factory GM Units...

Like I said, the 9960 seems to be just as good and I'm sure a good bit cheaper. The Garmin system is my favorite nav unit on the market.

That's enough to buy another AR....screw the Radio I would buy another AR15....

Well, mine was a tick under $800. It was purely an impulse purchase. I didn't want to pay for a stock, factory NAV that was a $2000 option from the dealer. Thats absurd. Pioneer or Kenwood are pretty much top of the line and not much else can compare. That's what I should've done.

But, $1500 is an M1A or 2 M1 Garands....

Back