• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New injection pump in, am I good?

mfgguru

Makin' it better!
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just put in a rebuilt injection pump from pensacola fuel injection. Have some data here from the Snap on MODIS scanner:

Coolant Temp : 92 deg. C.
Act Timing : 11.0
Des. Timing: 10.9
TDC offset: -1.14

Am I good as far as timing goes, or do I need to make some adjustments?

Let me know.

BTW, this is first try, bolted it on and I think its pretty darn close, fired right up and idled great.:D

What a job.:thumbsup:

Well done man. Wow! I will try my next one. Which, I hope is a very long time from now.

I can't help you time it, other than by putting this thread back on top.

Have you done KOKO, or is that the parameters from the original pump, still in memory?

The early discrepancies were corrected in the later versions - they're way expensive, which is why TD still uses the parameter-challenged version

OK. So actually the Solaris can read it correctly. Is it bi directional ? I guess like you said, cost in fact you can buy AE and GMTDScan and still be nowhere near a Solaris.

Well done man. Wow! I will try my next one. Which, I hope is a very long time from now.

I can't help you time it, other than by putting this thread back on top.

Thanks, it was fun, I had some experienced help through some of the more tricky parts.

If you installed the IP in the same egg-zact identical position as the original, you can leave things alone, as that position fits those parameters

If you installed it in the 90*vertical, you should do KOKO, which will reset the timing to factory spec, then you can readjust the IP to get the TDCO you want.

If you installed it otherwise, KOKO might get you into trouble, so you'll have to punt

If you installed the IP in the same egg-zact identical position as the original, you can leave things alone, as that position fits those parameters

If you installed it in the 90*vertical, you should do KOKO, which will reset the timing to factory spec, then you can readjust the IP to get the TDCO you want.

If you installed it otherwise, KOKO might get you into trouble, so you'll have to punt

We got it very close if not exactly. So a simple key on key off scquence. Does doing this while bleeding the air out of the filter count? Or does it have to be deliberate KO KO cycle with nothing esle going on? I have been driving it for 2 days, it runs great, no hesitation or smoke. Good acceleration and throttle response.

Thanks,

Remember: 1 silly mm in either direction = 2.5*, so
- if you set it a little bit away from turbo it is advanced
- if you set it a little bit toward the turbo it is retarded

Leave it run as-is - if it self-corrects later, recheck the timing, go from there

KOKO is done with engine off - you can manually purge the filter with the lift pump...............if you get an opportunity during the time-dependent fingersy\footsie thingy...............

Remember: 1 silly mm in either direction = 2.5*, so
- if you set it a little bit away from turbo it is advanced
- if you set it a little bit toward the turbo it is retarded

Leave it run as-is - if it self-corrects later, recheck the timing, go from there

KOKO is done with engine off - you can manually purge the filter with the lift pump...............if you get an opportunity during the time-dependent fingersy\footsie thingy...............

Thanks very much for the advice, and being diligent in replies. I appreciate it!

We got it very close if not exactly. So a simple key on key off scquence. Does doing this while bleeding the air out of the filter count? Or does it have to be deliberate KO KO cycle with nothing esle going on? I have been driving it for 2 days, it runs great, no hesitation or smoke. Good acceleration and throttle response.

Thanks,

KOKO is a procedure involving the ACC pedal and timed events. Check out the sticky at the top of the thread listings for the procedure. It is not just turning truck off and on.

So I did the KOKO off procedure and it didn't do a thing. The idle stayed at 750, and the scanner read the same settings as prior. Any thoughts?
FYI, no more surging in reverse, and crisper throttle response. Power is slightly better at WOT. Real test will be if I get an improvement on fuel economy.

So I did the KOKO off procedure and it didn't do a thing. The idle stayed at 750, and the scanner read the same settings as prior. Any thoughts?
FYI, no more surging in reverse, and crisper throttle response. Power is slightly better at WOT. Real test will be if I get an improvement on fuel economy.

Sounds like its running good!!! Good to hear.

Glad it all worked out for ya Mike. I hope you didn't have to sell your wife's new car to pay for your pump LOL. I see your into a van...

To my everlasting shame we have a van. She loves it though, so I guess that's what counts. I was close to getting a suburban, but the fuel would just kill me.
The pump was 500 bucks to my door. So not too bad.
Good to hear from you Gerald!

Back