• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New guy

DirtyC30

1976 C30 crew cab. 6.0LS to 6.5 swap coming soon
Reaction score
Hello, just wanted to introduce myself and hopefully have some questions answered. I have a 1976 Chevy C30 that I’m going to be swapping a 6.5 into as soon as I get everything together. Got an engine already with mostly everything but the block and pistons turned out to be in really bad shape. Possibly have a 6.2 short block I can pick up to put all my turbo stuff on but I’d like to get a good 6.5 block and pistons if possible. So far I’ve had no luck, seems I’ve started this a little too late 😂 my last truck was an 83 single cab that I swapped an ‘82 6.2 into and I loved that engine/truck dearly. But came across this crew cab ‘76 and it’s my dream truck so I traded. The crew cab has an LS in it from the previous owner, runs good and all but not really my style and everyone is doing Cummins swaps so that’s not an option. That being said, here’s a few pics of my current and precious truck as well as my 6.5 and its damage. Thanks for reading 🤙🏻IMG_4680.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4127.jpeg
    IMG_4127.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7571.jpeg
    IMG_7571.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8177.jpeg
    IMG_8177.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8234.jpeg
    IMG_8234.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8237.jpeg
    IMG_8237.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8244.jpeg
    IMG_8244.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8245.jpeg
    IMG_8245.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8335.jpeg
    IMG_8335.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8237.jpeg
    IMG_8237.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 4
Wow I can't wait to see that truck come to life!!! WELCOME TO TTS!!! We're glad you joined. The guys will chim in to say hello. You've definitely came to the right place...
Thank you for the welcome! I am going to be active very often so I’m glad to see this isn’t a dead forum. Progress will be a little bit slow since I daily drive my old truck but it gives me time to build up my diesel engine the right way.

Welcome. You found the right forum for the 6.2/6.5 self abuse club. Haha.

Finding good used 6.2/6.5 is not an easy task anymore. Used to be a dime a dozen, now its a left leg. There is a couple good vendors here that do stuff no one else makes.
Both can get new optimizer engines and parts. Leroy does a few one off things like gear drive and billet pulley. Chris of TSP does AMAZING head work, coatings, halo girdle, machined pistons down to 18.5:1 or with valve reliefs to 18:1! Much more too from both.
One of our members Rockabillyrat is almost ready to start rebuilding db2 and db4 pumps for people.

This is a super active forum. Make some free time to read through the stickies- there is a million bucks worth of info in there.

Start a thread on your build is best thing. Add your truck and it’s details in your signature line. Every time you post it will automatically put it in and we can see exactly is happening with it while reading each question. Lots of pics are good for fun too!
Something about a truck- they look good painted perfectly, mismatched parts, even bailing wire holding in the tail lights. No truck snobs here. Nice square body man.

Welcome. You found the right forum for the 6.2/6.5 self abuse club. Haha.

Finding good used 6.2/6.5 is not an easy task anymore. Used to be a dime a dozen, now its a left leg. There is a couple good vendors here that do stuff no one else makes.
Both can get new optimizer engines and parts. Leroy does a few one off things like gear drive and billet pulley. Chris of TSP does AMAZING head work, coatings, halo girdle, machined pistons down to 18.5:1 or with valve reliefs to 18:1! Much more too from both.
One of our members Rockabillyrat is almost ready to start rebuilding db2 and db4 pumps for people.

This is a super active forum. Make some free time to read through the stickies- there is a million bucks worth of info in there.

Start a thread on your build is best thing. Add your truck and it’s details in your signature line. Every time you post it will automatically put it in and we can see exactly is happening with it while reading each question. Lots of pics are good for fun too!
Something about a truck- they look good painted perfectly, mismatched parts, even baling wire holding in the tail lights. No truck snobs here. Nice square body man.
I appreciate the info and the welcome. I will set up my stuff here shortly, I’ve seen a lot from Leroy and TSP as well especially on Facebook. That single cab was my Frankenstein, 83 cab, 84 front clip, 82 6.2, and 89 SM465 haha. I miss it every day but I don’t regret trading for my crew cab. Thank you again, I’ll be browsing the stickies and topics for a bit before I post again

Welcome here!

The patina on that truck is absolutely beautiful!!
Thank you! I was planning on repainting it but I’m not too mad about the original orange and white as it is. It had been spray painted black by someone else before I got it so I’ve spent about 11 hours wet sanding the black off lol. Can’t imagine why anyone would want to paint over the two tone

Welcome to the forum @DirtyC30 from the pics it looks like your somewhere in Texas. A great place to be, haha, nice looking truck there. looking forward to seeing the build.

Lots of great folks here to help along the way. were also really good at helping you spend you money too LOL.

Start you a build thread with all the deets. add all your truck details in you signature so we all know what were working on, that will help remind all of us down the line.

looking at the engine and pistons that looks like what a failed injector can do. everyone here recommends replacing them at 100k miles but that also are starting to be a hard thing to get that isn't made of chineesium nowadays. just keep one thing in mind for parts. always use Gm or Delco parts when ever possible. that alone helps keep you from having to go back and doing the job a second time.

Thank you for the welcome, and yessir I live in Ennis which is a little south of Dallas. Moved here from Florida a few years ago and couldn’t be happier haha. I’ll be updating my profile and starting a thread for the old beast as soon as I get a chance as well. I build cars at home while taking care of my rugrats so I often get sidetracked just be patient with me 😂 when I pulled that piston first thing I thought was bad or leaking injector as well. I rebuilt the injectors in my 6.2 so I’m gonna take a shot at doing it on here as well. And yes I avoid the off brand parts as much as possible. First goals once I get the short block home and heads worked is diamond precups, Fluidampr and Leroy’s timing gear drive set. Timing chain had a good 3/4 of slop at least so I’m sure that didn’t help the issue

Back