• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

New Brakes

Sounds like a pricey day, but if it makes it stop better that's always. In the fleet we averaged about 90-100,000 miles out of the original pads. How did yours do?

I just did front pads on our 2001 2500 suburban today the sure a lot bigger than the 99, and had the dual pistons. 181,500 miles on originals. Dual pistons and larger pad makes a huge difference.

Sorry, I didn't mention that the existing pads were worn down to just before the squealer feelers after 35Knto 40K miles. Rotors were warped and had already been turned once. Yeah it was right at $400 in parts, but well worth it. Long term, I want to convey it to the next gen dual piston brakes.

Sounds like you got the performance you had hoped for. That is always a plus when you spend the extra money and it works out right. The run to Big Bear and back definitely wore the pads to they rotors. That is a great ride up there and back. I was in Palmdale for about two years and we travelled a lot. Beautiful country.

Drove down from Big Bear early this AM and I honestly say this is the best the brakes have ever been. I adjusted rear shoes as part of the job. The pedal height and firmness is the best it's ever been by far.

Now the only remaining issue is the non-working ABS. It works maybe 5% of the time. Too many other items ahead of that in the work cue, with finishing Big Bear remodel being the priority.

Here's a pic of the new CV axle alongside the old one:

attachment.php

The outer boot on the right side of the old one had cracked and split. This was a 3 year old Dorman remanufactured axle. No problem with the axle, but the boot was cheap and I suspected this would happen. Note how it has fewer ribs. The axle on the other side is also a Dorman reman, but it has the same boots as the new axle in the picture and there are no cracks on those boots. Just so everyone is informed.

And here's the new brake set up again. Raybestos slotted rotors are nice. I'm now going to put a set on my Honda Accord which has been notorious for warping rotors:

attachment.php

Pretty!

How come you did'int paint the caliper red? that will decrease stopping distance 20ft.

Pretty!

How come you did'int paint the caliper red? that will decrease stopping distance 20ft.

LOL!

I offroad too much, so everything stays dirty under there. It's my road hard, put away wet vehicle and I love it.

I have two sets of caliper cores. Will shops like AZ or Napa give me anything for them, given that I did not buy the replacements there?

Back