• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

need help with transmission code

Riddle_3d

Reaction score
i went to leave for work yesterday, and my '93 wont shift. well, it shifts once you hit 3600 RPM (bad for the motor, i know) it threw a code 86, transmission gear ratio error. what does that mean and what triggers it?

That means that input and output VS Sensors are not in que with each other for the gear the tranni is in.It could be just a bad VSS or a faulty shift sol.
For starters I would take the VSS 's out and ohm them(should be within a couple ohms of each other)

Borrow a scanner. Like bison said thats a speed sensor code, usually has to do with the TOSS(IIRC yours uses the VSS in the transfer case). When it set the code, did it stick you in second gear only?

nope, it shifted through every gear, just at about a thousand more rpms than normal. the speedometer seems to be operating fine too, but the speed sensor could stil be bad?

There are two speed sensors, if the speedo is working fine then the one in the transfer case is probably fine, and its the one further up on the tranny towards the engine that may be bad. Or something in the tranny like the pressure control solenoid (force motor) may be going. Is this the original transmission? the force motor is different in 92,93 than in 94+

Could be something to do with the the TPS maybe if it does shift trough all the gears.
I know my old 89 6.2 with the 700R4 had these symtoms at times till i disconected the TPS.Now it shifts fine.
4L80 is wee bit diff though

Good call, the TPS could definately cause this problem. Because then the TCM will not force higher pressure in the tranny and it wont be able to shift, thus mimicing the force motor failure.

Yea, sounds like a bad TPS. Unplug the TPS and go for a drive, it will shift a little late for part throttle and shift early @WOT. Dont drive long this way, your torque converter wont lock, just see if it will shift sooner. It sounds like a bad TPS or ground for the TPS.

Back