• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

My new garage.

When the boards were finished, I started on the wire. Drilled holes, passed the wire through them from the outside, left nails and twisted the wire. About every yard.
IMG_20240922_163216.jpgIMG_20240922_163218.jpgIMG_20240922_163221.jpg
Then I laid 12mm (½") reinforcement on this wire and tied the reinforcement to the stove wiring, bent it with a rebar bender fixed to the formwork.
IMG_20240921_174635.jpg
IMG_20240921_174647.jpg
I leveled and fixed the formwork with diagonals.IMG_20240921_174617.jpg I sprinkled the bottom of the formwork with sand and stones and tamped.

Ordered 5.5 cubic meters of concrete. Started on September 1, poured the concrete on September 26. Worked only on weekends. I did all this in proud solitude.
IMG_20240929_124739.jpg
IMG_20240929_124802.jpgIMG_20240929_124817.jpg
The formwork was not torn or warped. Everything went well. 2 cubic meters of boards cost $500, 5.5 cubic meters of concrete and the services of a truck mixer cost $1000.

After pouring concrete, I discovered that I had chemical burns on both hands, where the cuff of the gloves was. The cloth cuff was soaked with concrete. During the work I did not pay attention to the discomfort, the constant friction damaged the top layer of skin, cement is a strong alkaline solution, the alkali easily corroded living flesh. Let me know if you want to see my hands. It looks like if I was being tortured in handcuffed.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the concrete pain, I bet most of us here have made the same mistake along the way. It will be tender for a while. Here I know they recommend going to a doctor if there is more than 3” of skin damaged from it.

Having a mild acid nearby like vinegar when doing concrete work at home is a smart move. Always remove it from your skin when you get it on you, Wash off the concrete asap. If it was in contact for more than 10 minutes, after washing off with water, wile on some of the vinegar to bring the ph back and rinse it off after a minute or so. Now, this was stuff learned in the late 1970’s so they might have learned to do differently since then but I have always followed it (as I remember) and turns out ok. Antibiotics for the chemical burn (Neosporin here). If you see a doctor they might give an oral one as well.

Just a hint though- I know you dug the basement in the other place, here we dig the hole before the concrete goes in! Haha. JK lookin good so far.

Before this I poured concrete, but I did not get such serious damage. Because the skin remained intact. But if you damage the top layer of skin, any wound or scratch after concrete turns into an ulcer. Before this, the skin just became very dry, I just smeared it with cream and the next day everything was fine. Now I smear Chloromycetin Zoetis, In our pharmacies you can freely buy almost any medicine (except for prohibited ones) and antibiotics without a prescription and without visiting a doctor.
I have enough of the basement, I don’t want a basement anymore, I want a furnished attic.:)

Some people must be way more suseptible to it than others. I never wear gloves and never have had any issues. But I know others that do. Maybe I'm just to bitter lol. Concrete is way cheaper there. My seven yards cost $2k delivered

Back