• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mother of all PMD coolers

Missy Good Wench

Wild Blonde from Cloud Mt
Reaction score
Found this BAD BOY on ebay.

It is a heat sink for some heavy power transistors, and was designed to dissipate the heat from 6 large transistors.

its about 10 inches long and a skosh over 4 inches wide, with 2 inch high fins

it will just slip in and around the corner of the nostrils.

This beast should handle the heat from the PMD with minimal bother.

All that'a needed is a little bracket inside the bumper to fasten it to with some easy to access wing nuts.

I want to finally get the PMD out of the engine bay totally.

Missy

Attachments

• cooler1.jpg
    cooler1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 22
  • cooler2.jpg
    cooler2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 20
  • cooler3.jpg
    cooler3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 24
No kill like overkill!!! :hihi:

The PMD cooler and harness from our supporting vendor Leroy Diesel ran on my 1995 in AZ 121 degree heat for 3 years without issues and is still going as far as I know. (Grey Stanadyne PMD from him as well.) I think this is the only thing I didn't have trouble with... :rolleyes5:

I have a known good D-Tech PMD that had/has been on the rig.

I already own an extension cable and the current PMD is mounted on one of those top hat type mounts.

I will get another new PMD and keep the top hat mount as a pinch hitter to carry in the ditty box.

The new cooler was only $25 to my door and should work sweet.

You can't keep that PMD too cool. :thumbsup:

FYI brand new PMDs on sale for $125 ;)

Also IMO a heat sink just as big as the PMD itself will do the job. I used to offer them, but it was more labor than its was worth compaired to the new larger one. With the smaller one I had to build a bracket and that took alot of time.

Couple of pics of old version.

1001.jpg1007.jpg

If you don't know, your life is far better not knowing.:D:hihi:

My acquaintance with PMD coolers goes back so far I can't remember not having it in my vocabulary :(

I would agree Leroy, but with a unit that requires little more than bolting it in, plus being plenty big, ahhhh
what the heck, can't hurt.

Looks like a good score Missy. I highly recommend using some decent quality heat transfer paste and torque the screws holding it down evenly and not too tight. Lastly, get a decent quality extension cable. I prefer the ones with factory style weatherpack connectors.

I've had the PMD/FSD out of the engine bay for 10 years on both my rigs (Well, that is until I sold the 'Burb) and never had a lick of trouble, and that included driving in very hot (e.g. 100 degree) climates for days and days. Getting it out of the engine bay is the key.

On the 'Burb, I had it bolted underneath the front bumper with plenty of airflow. Changing it out right before I sold it (Just for reliability for the new owner) with a new unit from Leroy... I figured 10 years was good enough.

Show final install pics please!

-Rob :)

10-4 on the heat sink paste.

Already have a large tube of it for puters and other stuff :thumbsup:

The cable is a good one as well.

Heat kills these things.

Sadly GM and Stanadyne knew the arrangement they had was not working, but just said screw it.

By the time GM had it scoped out they were already looking at ending the 6.5 engines, and just decided to let it go.

Sadly, that the 6.5 could not have stayed with the DB2 pumps such as the HMMWV did.

The MIL stuff never had to deal with that sad sack mess of the DS4.

Good thing too.

Missy

In the fleets in Vegas, we figured out not just heat, but rapid changes in temperature killed them also.

I still can't believe they have not had to readdress them with the run away problems from them. Every wot with not touching the pedal I have seen or heard of has been pmd fault. Not to mention the horrible rep it gave gm diesels. Nothing like turning to Isuzu for a solution.

The ds4 went in at 96 because of the mandantory obd2 requirements under the fed emissions law. Of coarse the gubmint is not subject to the law and doesn't have to comply, hence them sticking with the db2.

I admit to thinking longingly about a new "updated, super-rugged" engine with a DB2 pump... *sigh*

-Rob :)

An optimizer 6500 would be sweet.

Basically that's what I ended up with.

AMG block with AMG heads from a P400
Scat crank with Original set of GM pistons on recon'd rods.

P400 would be sweet.

Ya hafta do some massaging to get the pan to clear the Front Diffy though.

I got mine on the bay also. It's 6x6x2 and is behind the license plate. but I just drilled 2 holes in the plastic shield that runs flat under the bumper to the core support. and put 2 big zip ties around the unit and thru a few of the fins. Stays in place, gets' more then enough air,, and after 3 hr in 100F temps,, it is cool to the touch.

This is my setup since 2007 and no failures, finned heat sink. The one on the left was replaced this year as I gave the original to a friend when his failed. #9 resistor on left & # 5 on right. Dielectric grease in connector. Quick to test if thats the problem.

Back