• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Might have cooked my turbo.

Twistedtrik

I am sofa king we todd it
Reaction score
So I am headed back from the lake Sunday night pulling my toy hauler. I get about 60 miles away from the lake which is about 270 miles from home at 10:00pm and my CEL comes on. Figured it was the EGR as usual. So I stop a few miles from where it came on and hooked up my OBD2 scanner to see a P003A and P2565 code. P003A is not identified but the P2565 shows high voltage current on the Turbo positioning sensor. I did a little research and found that it's either the turbo is fried or the sensor is toast. I drove home which took awhile longer due to lack of power but I had no choice being in the middle of nowhere. I can reset the code and the truck runs very little better but only lasts a couple of minutes and then it is crap again. I have no Pyro ( I will after this ) but the truck really wasn't run that hard. I had my programmer set to the towing mode and the truck never got hot. I have an appt. next Monday ( the dealership here is crap ) at the dealership to have them look at it. What do you guys think? It's under warranty but still. Not even 67000 miles and I have had a new injector pump put in in May and now this.

Vane position sensor gets my vote.

Code: P003A
Modules: ECM
Description: Turbocharger Boost Control Position Not Learned

So do you think it will be okay to drive until Monday? The SA at the dealership told me to drive it as long as it still ran decent which it does, just doesn't run like it should.

I would say sensor as well.

Im not 100% sure how it works but Id be affraid of something being "off" and with the turbo causing it to hold boost like a waste gate malfunction and blow out that way.

I dont think Id run it. If you do just short distances.

I am just running it back and forth to work ( 7 miles each way ) and being real easy on it. I look at it like this, my dealership sucks and if I tear something else up, they can fix that under warranty too.

It will go into limp mode if it does anything (limited to 2000 rpm). You will not overboost, the MAP still tells the ECM how much boost is being made.

Got the same issue with mine, changed the sensor and was fine for a few days, now its back.....truck runs fine.

Got it in to the dealership finally this morning. Turbo is toast. They are having 1 overnighted and will be done tomorrow. I think it was a combo of the sensor and running it way too hard is what caused it. Atleast I finally got the wife talked into a pyrometer.

So I said the dealership here was crap, they just proved my point. When they called me yesterday they asked if they could keep the truck until this evening since it was already torn down and just waiting on the turbo. I said fine but i need my truck back no later than tonight. They said no problem, turbo will be here tomorrow ( today now ). They just called and said the turbo is here but will take a full day to install. WTF kind of shit is that? I said so when will it be done? Oh it will be done tomorrow now. I asked why I was told it would be done today, well I didn't know it would take that long to tear it down and replace. I said you told me it was torn down already and that's why you wanted to keep it last night. Well they lied, I am pissed. I called and ripped the service manager but that was a waste of time. Guess I will be going to Tucson for anymore issues from now on.

Well I got it back today. Whole new turbo and runs like a new truck. They gave me a little shit about being pissed over the whole deal saying how they were doing me a favor by covering it under warranty because the truck was lifted. We got it all worked out, I paid my 100 bucks and all is good for now.

That seems like a pretty fast turn around to me. I wouldn't give them to hard a time. If they wanted, they could pry into your mods and deny your warranty. Glad you got it fixed.

I don't think you were runnin it too hard, if an 03 LB7 can pull the 48ft 6 horse that my sister does too estes park Col 10-12 times a year grossly over loaded, I think an LLY can handle a toy hauler. Prolly just a bad unit.

It was a quick turn around but they LIED about when it would be finished knowing darn well it wouldn't be ready when they said it would. Oh well i am over it and I will continue to take it to them until my factory warranty is up. Not really sure why it went to crap but between my injector pump splitting open in May and now the takes a crap it's starting to make me wonder if it's worth the BS to have a diesel. It's fine right now while I have a warranty but it's gonna get expensive when the warranty runs out.

Welll, mine is in for a turbo also, they changed a bunch of parts but the end result was new turbo.....28K on mine :(

Mine just turned 67500 yesterday. Mileage isn't all that great right now. Not as good as it was actually. Must take a little time to break the turbo in or something.

Back