• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mastercraft vs BFG??

Capt K

Reaction score
I am replacing the original tires on my "08 Dmax crew cab, std bed. I am keeping the stock wheels and tire size, LT265 70 17. I was supposed to put on a set of Cooper's Mastercraft Courier AT's yesterday at my local Town Fair (I know, I know, but they are convenient to my office).

Long story short, they sold off my set so offered me a set of of BFG Rugged Trail T/A's for the same price. I took the deal with a 30 day return agreement and looked these up on blogs and reviews. The Mastercrafts had a bunch of positive feedback and not much disturbing negative stuff. The BFG's seem to have a ton of negative feedback ranging from BS all the way to safety issues in wet and snowy conditions.

Opinions?!?!

Thanks!
This is my first time on the new combined site. Nice!

K:confused:

Ive ran BFG MTs and ATs all loud range E on my daully and they have always been great. Not that it matters but I dont think I could put ford tires on my Gm ;):)

Do NOT buy Mastercraft's. I had a set of courser a/t's and they were complete slicks after 25k miles. They were noisy and wore out entirely too fast. I dont think they were designed for a truck over 4000 lbs. You strap on 7500 lbs and things tend to wear faster.

I ended up switching to BF AT's and later traded in but I knew what my next tire was gonna be. I couldn't be happier with BF's...

Here's a few threads to help you make your decision.

http://thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=5944&highlight=mastercraft

http://thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=915&highlight=mastercraft

BF's are self cleaning tread and you will have ZERO problem getting around in snow covered roads. They dig really well. As you can see, the treads dont clog up at all. As the tire spins, it flings out the snow thats gonna be stuck inside the tread. I never had a problem getting around up in northern NY state where I moved from. You'll be very happy with BF's.

Attachments

• HPIM0926.jpg
    HPIM0926.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 3
Do NOT buy Mastercraft's. I had a set of courser a/t's and they were complete slicks after 25k miles. They were noisy and wore out entirely too fast. I dont think they were designed for a truck over 4000 lbs. You strap on 7500 lbs and things tend to wear faster.

I ended up switching to BF AT's and later traded in but I knew what my next tire was gonna be. I couldn't be happier with BF's...

Here's a few threads to help you make your decision.

http://thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=5944&highlight=mastercraft

http://thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?t=915&highlight=mastercraft

BF's are self cleaning tread and you will have ZERO problem getting around in snow covered roads. They dig really well. As you can see, the treads dont clog up at all. As the tire spins, it flings out the snow thats gonna be stuck inside the tread. I never had a problem getting around up in northern NY state where I moved from. You'll be very happy with BF's.

Nick you wear out tires 'cause you drive like a COP!:dupe:

I personally just had an issue with my BFG's. Had a tire seperate and do quite a bit of damage. I am not a fan of BFG right now!

Attachments

• nov 7 2009 truck and ocatillo 056.jpg
    nov 7 2009 truck and ocatillo 056.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
  • nov 7 2009 truck and ocatillo 049.jpg
    nov 7 2009 truck and ocatillo 049.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 0
Nick you wear out tires 'cause you drive like a COP!

Lol, not hardly. I'm rather easy on my truck.

Sucks about your tires. Maybe the mud grips had some kind of defect. I hope your insurance covers it.

Chit! I'm going to get BFG to cover the damages(I hope). I talked to the manager of the tire shop where I bought my hoops and he said BFG should and is usually pretty good about that kind of stuff. I have my fingers crossed. I'ld rather not run it through my insurance. I have 1000.00 deductable and no rental car policy. I am already living in poverty and can't haul my work junk around on the harley.

OK, thanks for the help. Most of the blogs I have read are obviously light truck or P-rated tire guys. Most of the heavy guys seem to prefer the BFG's. The ones they gave me are not the All Terrain TA KO's but the Rugged Trail TA which seems to be a similar design just a little bit tamed.

I run a mostly light loaded truck (daily driver) mostly on-road with some personal plowing. Do you think these will give me what I want. I just like to out when others are home, but just on-road.

Thanks, again!

K:thumbsup:

Either way, BF's are a good tire. They should do you well. I would think the above tires are a fluke maybe. That really sucks.

Back