• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Man, am I relieved!

mfgguru

Makin' it better!
Reaction score
On friday I went to have breakfast with my buds, 7:15 am. Had to quickly drop off some movies, you know, late charges suck. So I get out of the truck and, its still idling, and hear this rather loud ticking/knocking. Oh crap! I open the hood and it sounds like it is coming from the DS valve cover. Hoping it would just disappear on it's own, I went to breaky and had a good visit, drove home and still ticking. :sad: I had planned on taking the truck to a Bible camp to do some volunteer carpentry with my tools and stuff, but no, I had to the take the mini van. UHG! Anyway, after 2 days away sweating the glorious manitoba heat we finally have, here I am, Sunday morning after church and I can't stop thinking about the tick/knock. I read throught some old threads and got some ideas of what it could be. Bless you guys for all the info, it has been a real help. Long story short, I pulled the serp belt off, started her' up and no tick/knock. Whew!:smile5: Start turning things by hand, and the vac pump:mad2: no longer in service is nearly siezing at the climax of every revolution! So off it will come, but I need a new belt, and I recall that we need one 1" shorter than stock. Can anybody confirm this, and maybe post or give a link to the part number? Hope that solves it. Thanks.

On friday I went to have breakfast with my buds, 7:15 am. Had to quickly drop off some movies, you know, late charges suck. So I get out of the truck and, its still idling, and hear this rather loud ticking/knocking. Oh crap! I open the hood and it sounds like it is coming from the DS valve cover. Hoping it would just disappear on it's own, I went to breaky and had a good visit, drove home and still ticking. :sad: I had planned on taking the truck to a Bible camp to do some volunteer carpentry with my tools and stuff, but no, I had to the take the mini van. UHG! Anyway, after 2 days away sweating the glorious manitoba heat we finally have, here I am, Sunday morning after church and I can't stop thinking about the tick/knock. I read throught some old threads and got some ideas of what it could be. Bless you guys for all the info, it has been a real help. Long story short, I pulled the serp belt off, started her' up and no tick/knock. Whew!:smile5: Start turning things by hand, and the vac pump:mad2: no longer in service is nearly siezing at the climax of every revolution! So off it will come, but I need a new belt, and I recall that we need one 1" shorter than stock. Can anybody confirm this, and maybe post or give a link to the part number? Hope that solves it. Thanks.

On my 97 the 99.5 inch belt worked flawlessly. If it was the 100" it would have adjusted itself too big.

Any belt with part number ending in 995 is the 99.5" belt.

FWIW, I did the same thing, and the idle knock was still there....

Replaced P/S Pump as it whas whining and idle knock was still there...

Ended up being the crank pulley like Odlaw's recent thread (help a brotha out)....

Disappears without the belt because it is not under load.

You get a sharp clunk at turnoff? Or a buffered 'thud'?

Ditch the v=pump anyhow, while shroud/fan is out, try to move the crank pulley, and give it a good visual inspection.

The sieze feeling at each revolution of the v-pump could just be the compression stroke. Either way replace it with a 99.5 inch belt.

If you have no backup vehicle, buy a 100" and 99.5" and if the 99.5 is too tight that it wont go on, you have the other.

Hey Matt, I checked the crank pulley and it is tight. The Pump is Pooched for sure, sounds like metal on metal when I rotate manually.
Quick question, is the vac pump held on by just the three boltsl on the front, accessible throught the holes in the pulley?

I am glad I do not have one of those pumps on my truck. They seem like they are more trouble than they are worth!

Good to see it was not something more expensive! :thumbsup:

I don't think the back of the vac pump should look like this, do you?:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_2526.jpg
    IMG_2526.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2528.jpg
    IMG_2528.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 51
Hey Matt, I checked the crank pulley and it is tight. The Pump is Pooched for sure, sounds like metal on metal when I rotate manually.
Quick question, is the vac pump held on by just the three boltsl on the front, accessible throught the holes in the pulley?

exactly. Nice and easy. removing the fan makes the job way easier, but probably not necessary.

Takes less time to remove the fan then to stop and think about it. I recommend popping it off real quick.

And the upper shroud too. Get your air ratchet set up if you have one.

Got a belt and all is well. Crisis averted. Anyway, the 100" belt fit perfectly. It is a Goodyear Gatorback P/N: 4061000.

Check it again in the next few weeks, they have been known to stretch out. Hopefully the 100" was a bit on the tight side of the tensioner. Worse case scenario it'll start squealing, if so, go 99.5. Mine 'adjusted' itself pretty far on the tensioner, and I used the 99.5.

In fact, go outside and make a mark where the arrow is on the tensioner, so you can see how much it 'adjusts'

Back