• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Losing Coolant and Smoking During Idle

mfgguru

Makin' it better!
Reaction score
I am miffed!
Problem 1:
This summer I was pulling my camper down to Grand Forks ND to spend the weekend, got there and noticed my overflow tank was puking coolant. That was a downer for sure. Tried not to think about it too much, topped up the coolant for the ride home, no issues, but when I got home it was puking again. Man, I am starting to worry. Both trips it never heated, or had any hicup at all. 70mph all the way. Checks made:

Rad hose not hard under start up.
Surge tank cap replaced.
Rad clean in spring.

I topped up the coolant again a couple of weeks ago and yesterday noticed it was low again. THIS THING NEVER EVEN CAME CLOSE TO OVER HEATING during all this time. I have put on lots of miles since then and never a problem other than low coolant.

Problem 2:

In the last 2 days I have noticed my truck smoking during Idle. It is oil smoke for sure. I just changed the oil the other day when I noticed it during warm up to dump the oil. It clears up under acceleration and normal driving. Any ideas? I noticed my turbo has fresh oil seepage around the compressor housing almost all the way around.

I fear the worst!:sad:

Any help, advice or suggestions would be great!

Perhaps your head gaskets are going, causing combustion pressure to enter the cooling system?

Could try some of those GM tabs Some people swear by them... Perhaps it will prolong the inevitable.

Also could get a coolant pressurizer and fill it up to 15psi or so and see if there is any leakage?

IF thats the case, its Not as big of a job as everyone makes it sound. Just time consuming.

Last edited:
You can try to put it out of your mind, but it won't matter. That's most likely exhaust through the coolant, so head gaskets are certainly suspect. Like Vail426 I had the puking. New gaskets and heads solved the problem.

I hope to be wrong in your case.

Well, I think I solved the oil issue. Turbo blew a seal and engine oil is coating the intake heavily. Thank God I found a used turbo 2 miles way for 50 bucks. Don't know if it is an 8 or 4 or what ever, as long as it works. I have to say, the 6.5 thing is starting wear on me, a Cummins conversion is looking more and more attractive all the time. I love my truck, but starting to lose confidence in the ol' 6.5. I have done my best to look after it, but trouble seems to find me anyway.

Well, I think I solved the oil issue. Turbo blew a seal and engine oil is coating the intake heavily. Thank God I found a used turbo 2 miles way for 50 bucks. Don't know if it is an 8 or 4 or what ever, as long as it works.

Should be stamped right on the turbo.....GM-?

Back