• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lighting a heavy throttle pedal

dbrannon79

I'm getting there!
Reaction score
I want to try and lighten the amount of pressure the throttle pedal needs and was looking over everything, after our long trip the one thing I noticed is my left foot would feel like it was falling asleep over the amount of pressure I had to keep on the pedal. I used the cruise control most of our return trip. the DB2 has three cables going to it along with a factory double spring. At least I think it's factory. one thing I noticed is the cable for the cruise control is starting to fray, the outer part of the cable right at the plastic where the adjustment is that goes to the bracket on the engine is showing a couple of broken wires. I was going to disco this cable from the throttle linkage and see along with inspect the cable from the pedal for stiffness first. The third cable is for the remote TPS.

Before I detach the cruise cable I wanted to learn how to adjust it. where it has the damage it looks as if the cable is being pushed down (kinked) when the hood is fully closed. I also need to look for a replacement if they are still available.

is there a procedure needed to adjust this cable?

Motorcycle shops buy cables on 250’ reels then make them to length. At least used to around here, I haven’t had one made in 10 years.
Just carry in the old cable…

A frayed cable will wreck the required force and more so can cause a suck pedal situation. Stuck at idle is never the reported problem as people mash down beyond that. The springs being strong enough to return to idle- that where it gets more common.

Disconnect the other cables and discover the source. Then make the corrections as needed.

I am wondering if something was made for the throttle cable. in my 95 (drive by wire) the height difference between the go and stop is not much off. on this 93 there is enough of a difference that you have to get used to it. I noticed real quick when a week or so back I had to jab on the break quick like. well the side of my foot slightly went from the go pedal to my toe getting hung under the break and almost kissed someone's arse!!

looking at the go pedal, I can pull up on the pedal quite a ways where it slides on the cable and hits what looks like another stop crimped to the cable.

I have not tried to mess with disconnecting the cables at the IP yet. I am worried about the cruise cable since it has an adjustment like a trans TV cable. I have searched but cannot seem to find any deets on how to re-adjust it if needed. I have a feeling the cruise cable is what's causing the resistance on the pedal since it has a open spot where the outer sheeve is coming apart just above the IP and looks like it was slightly kinked at one time there.

Back