• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Leaky tranny lines...

Unit453

Cruises comfortably at 140...
Administrator
Reaction score
My lines were leaking like a siv up in NY. The more I read about them, the more I thought that it plagued northern trucks in cold climates and high idle had something to do with it. Then I realized that the lines pretty much suck no matter where you are. So, I made an appointment, tuned it back to stock and dropped it off today.

I get a call a couple hours later asking if I mind that it wont be done today. I dropped it off at 10. No biggie, I do have another car. They ask if I could like a loaner so I said sure. I didnt ask for it, they provided it and I think thats good service.

I went back to pick up the loaner, wondering wtf is was gonna be. Probably something cheesy but hoping for equal or greater size and value, in my dreams...

What did I get?

Full size

Four door

Big ass exhaust pipe...

King of the road....

Fire breathing....

Tire shredding performance....

Chevy Cobalt.... ):h

Thats right bitches....I'm pimpin' a Cobalt...You all got nuthin' on me...):h

Dont feel bad Bud. My daily commuter is an 99 Crown Vic with 122k on it. Its pretty bad my Ford with 4 times the miles and abuse, 10 years old, dosent leak a drop of anything.

and speaking of leaking tranny lines... I received a new lower inlet line today that I ordered from GM parts direct. Somebody gave me the part # for the 'new improved' crimp. It IS a different crimp though. It was $38 & change to my door. Now for the questions...
How do these install? for that matter, what holds them in place? I've never installed a fitting that looks like that. Does that plastic nut looking thing slip over the new line? Looks like a candidate for breaking as soon as you touch it.
Also, how much extra DexVI should I have on hand when I do it? I imagine this is fairly simple but don't need an all day repair cluster F*** on my hands...
Thanks,

LOL! At least you got a cobalt. No it is just not a northern thing. Mine started at 42K and when I went in to buy the parts, the parts manager asked why I was buying them for such a new truck. I told him I was OOW but he called the service manager and they took care of it. Problem was that they took it apart and did not have the right hoses until monday so they drive up in what I think was an aveo or something. I laughed and said "man is that thing gonna stink after I finish hauling fertilizer this weekend". The SM just gave me a look and I had told him that if they did not have the parts I would have came back monday but they insisted I not drive it and disassembled it anyways. He called the rental guy over and in less than 5 minutes a blue P/U CC 2wd gasser pulled up. Guess they did not think the compact was a suitable cow shit hauler. I left a lil chunk in the bed just to let them know I wasn't bullshittin em about the bullshit!
I talked to the SM about all of the post from the guy's up north and he said that mine was the only he had come in with that problem in our area. My kind of luck, go figure.

Mike, what is different about the crimp?
It's more like you would see on a mobil type hydraulic hose. Better fit from the ferrile to the hose. Sorry I don't have a digital camera so I can't take pictures to post up. I've read elsewhere that it appears to be a positive fix. We'll see...
Noah posted up the TSB that includes the part #s over at Diesel Haulin.

I am going tomorrow to get the aeroquip hose/fittings fix. I will do it when the weather gets a little warmer. Thanks Mike!

Aeroquip Fix

Here is my fix for the leaky lines. I used SS Braided Hose #12 with all the fittings. Hose is rated for -100 F to 500 F, 1700 PSI. I have not installed them yet, but they are all made up.

Attachments

• Transmission Lines 1A.jpg
    Transmission Lines 1A.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Transmission Lines 2A.jpg
    Transmission Lines 2A.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 24
Just got back from having them made up. I am just looking for a compact tubing cutter. The lines are nice. Overkill, but it was all I could get. Nick, how did you make out with yours?

Nick, how did you make out with yours?

Replaced under warranty. Overall an excellent dealership experience, which is rare these days.

Are you out of warranty?

I am just out of warranty at 39000 miles. I went in to have them replaced, and the dealer only replaced 1. I looked underneath yesterday, and noticed the other lower hose leaking. Instead of going back and forth time and time again, it is worth it to do just as others have already done. Fix it once and be done with it! The hose and fittings cost me about $200. The install does not look to hard. Just a little messy with the fluid that will leak out of the hoses.

I started my repair Sat but got everything as far as taking the clip off at the radiator. I didn't see how I was gonna get the clip back in without getting more room to work so I put it all back together as it was. I had other commitments and didn't need a 2 day ordeal... What I'm trying to say is...I lost my nerve for the time being. Pi$$ed myself off for it too!:mad2:

Back