• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Leaking stainless oil hose

bleeder

Reaction score
Need suggestions for a quickie fix or tell me I'm only looking for more trouble. It looks like one of my stainless oil cooler hoses is leaking at a point where it crosses over the sway bay almost directly beneath the harmonic balancer - I'm guessing that I goofed on the install and somehow there may be a hole worn in it. I can't get under it until later today to take a closer look. On Friday morning I have to leave for about a 600-650 mile round trip over the weekend with the 'burb. I plan to use some gorilla tape secured with a hose clamp(s) as a band-aid fix. Think it will hold? I don't want to be broken down on the turnpike headed into Pittsburgh with my kids. I'm open to any suggestions that are quick and cheap. Thanks!

Is it the trans oil cooler line? You may need to determine if it is the line IN to the cooler or line OUT of the cooler?

If it is line OUT of the cooler, you can just cut the tubing and replace it with a piece of transmission fluid resistant hose and make it a little longer so you can double clamp it on each side.

If it is the line IN to the cooler, I am not sure if the pressure is too high to do similar fix.
Somebody can chime in.

Make sure you get a trans fluid resistant hose because trans fluid eats rubber.

I am not taking responsibility if you get stuck.

My suggestion is to find a good mechanic/trans shop (not stealership) to fix it properly which should be finished by Friday.
You don't need diesel mechanics to fix thing like this.
May not be cheap, though. The cheap fix may cause you to get stuck on the turnpike which can turn to be expensive in terms of time and tow bill and you still have to fix it.

Sorry, should have been more clear - it is a braided stainless replacement engine oil cooler hose. As you suggest, JMJNet, I think I am just playing with fire by trying to patch it up for the weekend.

I would triple check the leak isn't coming from above the hose.

Leroy can get you a replacement shipped overnight. Even if he didn't make the kit. Any hydraulic hose shop can make a hose for you, under "Construction Equipment" or hose". Replace the line and "fix" the rub. By securing the line. Rubber hose over the SS line and securing it, re-routing. Also inspect the other line. It has to hold over 80PSI and that is measured at the OPS on a cold engine the pressure in the cooler being higher - see the Cold start oil flow in the technical reference section.

Emergency tape, spare tires etc. is just that: Emergency. It gets you home rather than starting a journey without a spare tire.

Yup, loose that line and kiss all your oil goodbye in less than a minute on the freeway. See if Leroy can overnight you a set. Not worth the risk imo. you can rent a truck for the trip cheaper than a new engine. There is no tape going to hold hot oil under pressure from leaking around a braided hose. Just be glad you caught it now.

Getting a rental car/SUV may not be that expensive while trying to figure out how to fix it properly, IMO.

Thanks everyone. Leroy came to the rescue, of course. Replacement hose is on the way. And, yes, I will triple check to make sure the leak is not coming from above. When I can confirm what happened I will let you know.

Leak Found

Found the source of the leak in my engine oil cooler hose. :mad2: I don't think that smooth ring on the front edge of the harmonic balancer requires any further explanation:

Oil cooler hose photo.jpg

I managed to get my hand under the balancer to feel the hose and promptly stabbed my finger with a broken strand of the stainless braid. At least it is not worn all the way through, yet, and I caught it before I experienced a catastrophic failure. I can't really complain. After five knee replacements over the last thirty years and trashed elbows I'm just happy to have good friends around who were willing to help out by crawling under my 'burb and doing the dirty work. Hope this experience helps someone else to make sure their hoses are secured in a good location. Any suggestions on hose routing for the redo?

His original hose was one of mine. bleeder contacted me and I got a new one out today for him. He said it was leaking from the middle of the hose (I thought??) never had one do that. I could almost understand a bad crimped connection, but now I understand how it got its leak. Rubbing moving parts is not good :hihi:
Should have new hose before Friday.

Route and secure away from moving parts... This is the kind of thing I would see under my hood: oil everywhere. I would suggest you soap down the belt area or use brake cleaner on the pulleys and then replace the belt. It will slip and get hot with all the oil.

Little doubt that the edge of a harmonic balancer spinning at a couple thousand rpm can be an efficient cutting machine.
Expensive mistake.jpg
Of course, it was the upper hose so I had to disconnect the lower one to get to it. I had just removed the filter and adapter to tighten the lower hose a week ago, arrrgghh.
Now I'm just waiting for the mail man to deliver my most recent purchase from Leroy. If only Leroy had offered the special bonehead version with three hoses . . . .

do you offer a kit that kills the hose faster? like one with razer blades on the balancer to cut entirely through both hoses as soon as the RPM hits 1000?

Nothing like that, but if you want I can put sand and metal shavings inside the hoses for you.

Now that's service right there. "Sir, I don't have what you request on the menu, but might I offer a similar item in dish #27?"

Oh, man, if I had only known that Leroy offers curb service I would have ordered fries with that hose!
Thanks to Leroy's quick shipping I got the hose in time. But, postal service was running three hours late that day and rain was threatening. I hustled and less than two hours after the new hose arrived I had everything buttoned up. This time I did the work myself with no leaks (from the oil cooler hoses, ha). I put 700 miles on it over the weekend for my first long trip with the old beast and we had no problems at all. Now if I could only get over the feeling that I am trying to put lipstick on a pig . . .

speaking of Murphy, has anyone ever put in a low oil pressure Murphy switch to shut down the engine in a 6.2 / 6.5?

I researched a shutdown switch and a low pressure alarm. The only low pressure alarm I found was for aircraft and cost prohibitive, and as for the shutdown switch, I was leary of having another item to fail and stall. The shutdown switches on my construction equipment are failure prone causing a no start with oil. That may be comparing apples to oranges, though. Murphy got my GM engine(oem cooler lines) and I'm hoping somebody has done this successfully. It was probably 2 or 3 years ago when I investigated last. It took me that long to do the Teds swap and replacing everything under the hood, due to cash shortages.

Back