• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Leak advice?

steelraptor

Reaction score
Well once I get the chance this week I want to chase down a weird fuel leak.... Well it seems like fuel to me, hard to tell these days with so many dam fluids leaking.

I parked my truck the other day at the office and then came out to find a small puddle of fuel on the ground. I was then started up the truck and moved it to a clean area. Idled it, fast idled it and then revved it a few times. No drips or anything... Then I parked it at home and came back out to find the same thing...

The puddle is by the very back of the block, perhaps even as far back as the bottom of the downpipe as I saw fuel on the downpipe as well. Right now I am running a blend of 20-30% veggie oil in my diesel so the fuel is a bit harder to track down at the moment due to the smell not being very "dieseleyy"

So my wonder is, what would leak after the system is depressurized and the truck is sitting for a bit?

I was thinking of pulling the intake manifold and seeing if the lines are leaking or if it is the fuel filter manager. What is the best way to reseal the intake after I pull it? Do I need a new gasket? I have never done some of this stuff, as I never had the ability to in my old car due to not having a place to work on it =p

Also got to trace front diff leak but gotta get everything clean first!

Thanks as always for help ^-^

Take a look at all of the little rubber return lines that run from injector to injector. I have seen them leak intermittently. Even if you don't see an immediate problem and they look rough, replace them as PM. There are inexpensive kits on Ebay.

The fuel return and supply line on the rear of the engine can do this. Bio eats some fuel lines esp factory lines. The return line at back of the block leaks when the engine is off. Check the IP line from the FFM as well. The FFM can also leak esp around the filter.

Pressure seats leaky lines and stops the leaks. When you have no pressure they then drain out on the ground. The clamp hits the ridge on the steel pipe when under pressure. When the pressure is gone the stiff hose pushes back on the pipe and unseals the hose from the ridge and then leaks.

Are you sure it is fuel? Could it be the condensate drain for the a/c system? That is the side that it would come from.

Steve

Are you sure it is fuel? Could it be the condensate drain for the a/c system? That is the side that it would come from.

Steve

AC doesn't work at the moment lol, but it's defiantly an oil or some sort, probably the bio throwing me off as it doesn't have much of a smell to it =p

You run Bio or Veg oil? IP has a weep hole on the bottom, but I would think as said above its one of the lines from FFM or the heater oring on the FFM. There is also the WIF sensor oring on FFM.

You run Bio or Veg oil? IP has a weep hole on the bottom, but I would think as said above its one of the lines from FFM or the heater oring on the FFM. There is also the WIF sensor oring on FFM.

I am running both and more... Blending 25% veggie + some kero and good old diesel at the moment. Also running biodiesel when I can get my hands on it. But I also run thru old oil that i get super cheap from yard sales/free. Basically old as can be oil still in the bottle or can that no one wants to use. Also get heating oil too xD

Of course I do this only when the weather permits and I always keep a sample of my blend in a jar outside to check for clouding/viscosity =p

But I will check for those leaks once I am back home and have some free time in the garage. Thanks for the tips I have a feeling it one of the spots mentioned above is the source.

Thanks guys

Back