• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LBZ mismatched operating system

BigDogYJ

Reaction score
I've read over the writeups for EFI Live posted here (great info, thanks). I got my stock tune read and saved in multiple locations.
I downloaded ferms DSP5 tune and mileage and fun tunes. I notice its marked as OS 6128. Im assuming that the last 4 digits of some OS version. That does not appear to match what I have in my ECM. Am I correct in thinking that I need to do a full flash of the 6128 OS to my ECM and then tune from there? or should I use a script to make calibration changes to my stock OS? I tried to open a compare tune file and it gave me the error that the os was different than the currently loaded calibrations and it would not compere.
Sorry im completely new to this (but not to computers), and dont want to royally screw up the ECM.
Thank you!

I've posted the PCM info from EFI Live below:

VIN 1GCJK33D56F241797Serial 864921103350
Hardware N/A
Operating System 12632483
Calibration 12606126
BCC YNAX
Operating System 12632483
Engine Operation 12632640
Engine Diagnostics 12632654
Engine 12632720

The 2483 is the latest LBZ OS from GM. You can do a full flash and should be fine as I have downgraded several other trucks with the 6128 OS. Or you can make a script of the different tune and then run the script over your stock tune.

The 2483 is the latest LBZ OS from GM. You can do a full flash and should be fine as I have downgraded several other trucks with the 6128 OS. Or you can make a script of the different tune and then run the script over your stock tune.
ok. So I think I got this working right then.
I downloaded the stock tune for 6128. Opened up that file, then comparatively opened the lbz fun tune for 6128. I ran the comparison, then Created and Saved a script. Closed everything. Opened up a copy of my stock tune for 2483, then ran the script on that file. it made the changes successfully. I then saved the changed file.

Is this all I need to then run a program of the calibration to my ecm? no full flash needed since OS is the same, correct?

Thanks for all the help.

Alright I jumped in and survived. lol.
I assured myself that if I ruined this ECM after my script change above, then it would be an excuse to buy a new/spare ECM.
It all worked out ok. First one I did was the Fun Tune. Good power and yeah its got some pep to it. :thumbsup:
Then I got excited and the next one I did was the Mileage Tune. Awesome! I love that LB7 rumble at idle, and it carries the rumble through the start of acceleration. I think Im going to run this for a while and see how it affects my mileage.

Thanks for the help! Im pretty sure I'll be going to a DSP5 setup very soon.

Ferm, how would you compare that LBZ fun tune to a 90HP PPE tune? to me it felt like it had a little more response than the PPE. I like it.
Also, am I correct in assuming that the DSP5 tune you have uses your Mileage tune for the Econ (2) and Fun Tune for the Performance (3) positions?

Thanks again!

My DSP5 tune in the library is an optimized stock for 1, econ in 2, 90HP tune in 3, about a 50HP tow tune in 4, and about a 40HP tow tune with turbo brake in 5. As for how my tune stacks up against a PPE 90, I would say it is close in HP, but feels stronger as I used timing and a better A/R table than PPE does which makes it feel more lively. The PPE tune is a good tune, but they tend to use a lot of fuel whereas I try to keep the tunes clean and responsive. Also if you haven't done it yet, get an EGR blocker plate. The stock valve will pop around 18-20 pounds of boost and make it smoke under hard accel even though the ECM is telling it to stay closed.

Got it. Yeah I definitely like how it feels compared to the PPE.
I've got the EGR blocked. That soot mixed with oil from the PCV makes some nasty sludge. I had about 3/4" thick of sludge lining the intake on my truck. I pulled it all apart and cleaned it out when I blocked it. the oil doesnt bother me so much, but the soot mixed with it make some disgusting sludge.

Thanks for all the help / info.

What do I need to download one of your tunes to my truck?

I want to try the tow tune

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

Back