• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LBZ Injector problems??

SFC Cobb

Jesus Freak
Reaction score
I changed the oil about 350 miles ago and now the oil is dark black and seems to be overfull. Have there been any issues with injectors leaking or something else leaking into the crankcase?

All Duramax generations hold 10 qts of oil. Did you overfill? The oil will change black within one startup, that is normal. Maybe drop some oil from the dipstick onto a rag and see if you get a "ring" around the black oil, you usually can tell on a napkin. (That'll indicate fuel in oil, or smell)

Injector issues are VERY rare on the LBZ.. How many miles?

Maybe drop some oil from the dipstick onto a rag and see if you get a "ring" around the black oil, you usually can tell on a napkin. (That'll indicate fuel in oil, or smell)

Great trick, never knew that......

I would have a UOA done. This will tell you whats going on if anything. If you have a concern about the injectors you might want to have the balance rates checked. I do agree with Jeff on the reliability of the LBZ injectors.

I never had the oil get that black on my other two Dmax's in such a short time. This truck has 73,000 miles on it. My 03 has 293,000 on it and it doesn't get that black between oil changes of 7-8K miles.

I never had the oil get that black on my other two Dmax's in such a short time. This truck has 73,000 miles on it. My 03 has 293,000 on it and it doesn't get that black between oil changes of 7-8K miles.

I'm assuming the EGR isn't blocked? If so that has ALOT to do with the oil getting black quick.

No I didn't service it myself. A place I have been doing business with for several years did it. I didn't get it in the shop today and probably won't until the end of the week now.

Thanks for your responses.

It is rare to see an lbz injector go bad. We had a rash of them right out of the gate and then had some programming issues early on with them but not much since. There is the occasional bad one, but not anything close to the lly, and light years separate the lb7. Maybe they messed up on the oil level.

No I didn't service it myself. A place I have been doing business with for several years did it. I didn't get it in the shop today and probably won't until the end of the week now.

Thanks for your responses.

I am sure it is a reputable shop but is there a chance they over filled it?

my o6 lbz only holds 9.5 litres which is less than 10 quarts,so it would be overfilled if they put that much in my lbz,4quarts is 4.5 litres ,i would double check,my oil stays clean for about 1500km by the time it hits the 5000km its black,i had the chance to attend a seminar on oils a fiew years ago put on by castrol and as far as i understand in a diesel engine, if the oil does not get black its not doing the job. my 6.5 always had clean oil so who knows whats right or wrong,i work for cat rental divisions and all are new engines have black oil within a fiew hrs of running.

Maybe drop some oil from the dipstick onto a rag and see if you get a "ring" around the black oil, you usually can tell on a napkin. (That'll indicate fuel in oil, or smell)QUOTE]

thats how i found out mine were bad when they were still under warrantee. no pics here, but i have some in my threads about it on dp

Back