• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Key chime

Cumminsfever

Been there, broke that.
Reaction score
I absolutely HATE key chime modules. The most annoying sound there is... especially when you are trying to work on the truck, and need to have the door open, and the key on.
When I bought my truck, it was already MIA, and I was happy to let it be that way. But... now I have no chime to let me know my headlights are on, and you guessed it... I came out this morning and my batteries are DEAD.

Does anyone know how to have the headlight chime work and not have chime for key in/door open?
This is on my 94 k1500.

I have a headlamp buzzer and no door buzzer, but I also do not have entry lighting which I don't really miss. Maybe I should find out why. It's been like this since I got the thing. (my '93)

Cut the wire going to the ignition. There is a separate one for key in ignition.
IMO head lights left on is a small price to pay for silence. A larger price I have paid is cracking heads from overheating on a 88 diesel after the heater plug blew out. No buzzer and the gauge was not easy to see.

Seriously, I would leave the buzzer out... because they never shut up. Key in ignition, didn't buckle up fast enough... It going off all the time is as bad as silence.

On 1994 and older models, if you happen to ever go into the column to tighten the tilt knuckle or replace the ignition tumbler, etc. you can simply leave out the contacts for the "key in ignition" circuit. It's that little pair of contacts mounted to a plastic clip that hooks in just over the bolt that retains the tumbler. Pops right out, no biggie.

Richard

On 1994 and older models, if you happen to ever go into the column to tighten the tilt knuckle or replace the ignition tumbler, etc. you can simply leave out the contacts for the "key in ignition" circuit. It's that little pair of contacts mounted to a plastic clip that hooks in just over the bolt that retains the tumbler. Pops right out, no biggie.

Richard

Where was this info when my switch went bad? LOL!

Thank you! That is exactly what I wanted to know!

Back