• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

KC HID wiring conundrum

ghostrider500

Always stirrin' the pot
Reaction score
Got these sweet KC HIDs, but requires 24V. Is there a way to still make these work? Some folks have said to just change the relay to a 12V, but does that address the 24V source on the switch? Do I need to change something in the ballasts? I'm pretty incompetent with wiring/electrical, so spell it out to me in single syllable words and pictures:hihi:

View attachment truck light wiring schematic.pdf

The Ballasts will say if they are 24v or 12v. If they are 24v you're gonna have to get a Step Up Converter.

The Ballasts will say if they are 24v or 12v. If they are 24v you're gonna have to get a Step Up Converter.

I checked the ballasts. They are 40 watt ballasts with a range of 9-32V. So I don't see why they wouldn't work on a 12V system. But the switch to turn them on needs to be connected to a 24V source, according to the instructions. BS? I looked at the switch and it is a garden variety on/off switch. The relay does say it is a 24V relay and the switch goes to the relay; so is this why it needs 24V? Would I just need to change the relay to make everything work?

Update on this. Finally got around to actually wiring this stuff in. Switched out the 24V relay with a 12V and everything worked.....almost. When I first got eveything wired and put the in line fuse in the left light came on. I didn't have the light switch on.(Power is coming from 30A posts on fuse block under the hood--fulltime on). So I turned the switch on and the left light turned off and the right light came on!! Now I' m really scratching my head. I turned the truck on and and tried everything with the same result.:mad2:

I checked and rechecked and checked one more time my wiring compared to the wiring schematic and everything was nuts on. So I'm confused; would the 24V to 12V change cause this? Or something else? Anyone else ever have this prolem? I pulled the fuse to turn off the left light and now have nothing. Arrrrggghhh.

Sounds like you might have the Relay Installed In the Socket Wrong.

If that's not the Case, it's def. a Wiring Issue where something is Wrong, prob. have Wires Reversed somewhere.

Back