• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Just installed EGT gauge...

Mezmorized

Reaction score
I just finished wiring up my EGT gauge and I seem to have a problem... I went on a little road test and it didn't reach 200F degrees. I had my Diamond Eye 4" exxhaust installed last week and asked the person who did it for me to install the probe in the down pipe and I'll finish up the rest.

I bought an Autometer gauge so I wouldn't have any issues!! :rolleyes5:

My pre turbo only hits around 5-600 highway cruising.

HAmmering it up a steep hill will hit 1000-1100.

Seems most post turbo installations can be 200-300 degrees less than a pre turbo.

Depending on what you were doing and how far away from the turbo the thermocouple is, it just MAY be reading right.

If it is, you may have to do some mental math when you drive to know if you're pushing the egt's too high...

It's probably just about 6" down from the turbo.

Also, I hammered it a couple of times and it barely moved.

Hard to say, you may be too far down the pipe.

What is it at idle?

Still 200 F?

I suppose the thermocouple could be packaged wrong.

Are you running anything else off the thermocouple leads? If you power more than the guage from the lead, it will read wrong.

Same thing may happen if you splice or shorten the thermocouple lead....

Here's a video of how my Digital egt gauge responds (pre turbo):

[video=youtube;ypx9lLaT8z8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypx9lLaT8z8&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Boost on the left, egt on the right.

It's working now! I relocated my ground, gave that a try, didn't work. I decided to check the connection between the probe and the length of wire they give you. So I peeled the shrink tube back and there it was... I guess I overheated the shrink tube enough to melt the casing around the wires? :???: Now I need to clean that mess up and get better fitting shrink tube on there. You can't see it in the pic... The wires were bare and touching each other.

Attachments

• Photo_C8A2901A-B0BB-11E3-D320-BDFB177868CE.jpg
    Photo_C8A2901A-B0BB-11E3-D320-BDFB177868CE.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 10
heat shrink?

On a thermocouple?!?!?!

Mine is stainless sheathed from the thermocouple right up to the gauge.

The wires touching is def a problem. A thermocouple produces voltage which is read by the gauge. With them crossed, there's nothing for the gauge to read...

Yeesh, I don't like that at all.

My thermocouple is from a small little business called auber instruments. I would think a big name like "autometer" would at least match the quality.

Oh well, at least you found the problem!

:)

I've been thinking... And from what everyone is saying about where the probe is installed, I've decided to install a second egt gauge. So I picked up an Auber gauge like the ones Great White has... Only in red. I find the probe is really tiny compared to the Autometer one. I'm not ready to install it just yet, too much on my plate right now LOL

Back