• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

jack size.....

0rion

Reaction score
I need to get a bigger jack for the truck since my other jack is only a 1.5 ton low profile jack. I've been looking at 3 and 4 ton jacks but not sure if I should strictly look at 4 ton or if I can get away with a 3 ton. I'm guessing a 3 ton should be plenty but thought I'd ask you guys to see what you thought. I've also been looking at lift ranges as much as anything else. Seems most are in that 19-20" range but I'm wondering if I lift the truck later down the road how much jack it's gonna take to get it up in the air. Not a big fan of stacking 2x4's on the jack pedestal but I've been known to do it.

I've got a 3 ton. can't remember who made it. it topped out at 22'' or so. figure in your gonna loose about 8-10" before you hit anything to lift with. they do make some jacks with an adjustable platform. it kinda looks like a post with holes in it. make sure you get a good set of stands to go with it.

I've got a 3 ton. can't remember who made it. it topped out at 22'' or so. figure in your gonna loose about 8-10" before you hit anything to lift with. they do make some jacks with an adjustable platform. it kinda looks like a post with holes in it. make sure you get a good set of stands to go with it.

I've already got the stands for it.....I've actually got stands coming out of my ears. :D That's been part of the problem.....the only 3-4 ton jacks they had at sears were package deals with stands and a creeper. I just need the jack so I'll most likely have to order through their site.

3 ton is plenty. You're not exactly lifting 6 tons with those things anyways. You'll get 3000 lbs at the most with any given corner of the truck.

3 ton is plenty. You're not exactly lifting 6 tons with those things anyways. You'll get 3000 lbs at the most with any given corner of the truck.

I normally lift half at a time on vehicles depending on what I'm doing but I rotate my own tires and stuff too ( don't trust the tire places) so every now and then I'll have the whole thing up on stands. I still think 3 should be enough to even lift the entire front with right?

Well, with all the fluids in it, the engine and trans combination is right around 1500 lbs. Add another 1000 for the sheet metal and the front half of the frame.

I end up with the front end of mine in the air more than enough of the time, and I've never hit any problems. now the ashfault under the jack doesn't fair as well.:rolleyes5:

I got a good deal on a Craftsmen Professional series 3-ton for $79 awhile back. I would check Sears out every now and then. You might catch a deal..

I have 4 ton jack from Sears its great, but the handle is not designed to go straight up which is kinda dumb, so I adjusted the stops,also its a two stage,which is very nice.

I got a good deal on a Craftsmen Professional series 3-ton for $79 awhile back. I would check Sears out every now and then. You might catch a deal..

that's what I'm talking about.....I'd love to find that deal. I'm gonna hold out a while and see what Sears does. They run that stuff on sale pretty regularly.

That's what I've got. Think I paid $99 and it came with a set of 3 ton stands (hard to find one of the deals where it doesn't). It lifts the front/back of the truck no problem.

I haven't attempted to jack up one side from the center of the frame... seems like that would be a lot of weight in one point. Plus I've got a 2wd so there's no place to jack the front from the center. The crossmember that runs under the front of the engine won't support it, I've tried :eek:

When I rotate my tires, I'll start by putting the rear on stands (jack it up by the pumpkin), then each front corner by the frame where it curves back down just behind the front wheels.

I haven't attempted to jack up one side from the center of the frame... seems like that would be a lot of weight in one point. Plus I've got a 2wd so there's no place to jack the front from the center. The crossmember that runs under the front of the engine won't support it, I've tried :eek:

ouch. I pick mine up but the crossmember all the time. mind you the crossmember in mine is about 1/2" think too.

That's the one I was thinking about. I lift the whole front all the time with my 2 1/4 ton Chinese jack with no trouble. 3 ton should be plenty.

That's the one I was thinking about. I lift the whole front all the time with my 2 1/4 ton Chinese jack with no trouble. 3 ton should be plenty.

I have no problems.

Back