• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

It still ran... The complete total destruction tear down 1995 Suburban

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
Word was that it had a unusual noise start like a ping that went away when the driver got off the throttle. Then it cut loose with smoke out the exhaust and under the hood and stalled.

It still ran when I bought it, but, not that well. http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?25281-New-toy-in-the-driveway.-1995-Surburban.

This is the tear down. We knew it was iffy with the sludge oil. Dad got the accessories off in 1/2 a day and 94blazer and I ripped this down Saturday.

Then the rust on the driver's side wasn't a good sign.

dr head.jpg

Then the push rods on the passenger side had us going :WTF: with the valve springs and valve stems looking ok.

number 8 pushrods.jpg

Getting the head off made us think there was a bad injector. That is not carbon build up, but, aluminum build up. :eek: As guessed in the other thread two pistons at TDC is a bad sign! You can see the outline of the valves in the piston crown.

not carbon build up.jpg

what wrong 0 .jpg

Getting the oil pan off with a rubber mallet sounded like broken glass being knocked out. :skep: The oil pickup screen is a little clogged.

clogged oil pickup.jpg

I am starting to get a bad feeling about this now. The rod is not broken for TDC x2. :(

no.jpg

Using a 10 pound sledge and other ways to convince the piston to loudly leave the cylinder... Top and bottom if you can tell...

used to be a piston.jpgbottom of slug.jpg

Then it gets really bad!!! :suicide: 4 separate holes and a crack between them.

can it be sleeve.jpg8 holes.jpg

Finally a pic of the bent push rods and connecting rod.
bent up push rods and rod.jpg

I wonder if this can be sleeved? :rof:

JB Weld?

Your photo brings back memories of my 14th summer. I was invlolved with the tear down of a 67 GTO. Guy blew it up on the "Black Canyon" as I-17 was called back then. Oil pan had a lot more stuff in it, like sections of the cam, push rod or two etc. Block had a hole or two in it also only on the outside....still hurts to look at though.

GREAT thread! Thanks for posting the pics of the aftermath ... the sounds at the time must have been spectacular!

We see all kinds of blowed-up stuff on here, but that is a real winner.

Holly $hit Frank

I have never seen a six and half so torn up.

Yesssssssss that must have been spec damn tacular when it let go. OMG such carnage.

Missy

Thats what happens when you hit 1301F EGTs :) What did the valves look like? Were they the winner of the trainwreck?

No EGT gauge in this truck?

That is just crazy, must not have been a knowledgable 6.5 owner trusting the coolant gauge out to 260F for the red zone.

The throttle taping noise before failure makes me think #8 injector let go and was popping too soon. EGT I imagine would have shown up as more damage in other cylinders without noise. It could have been EGT as the conditions were available. Original injectors peeing a stream was my fear with the miles and knowing the PO was towing. Not sure if the injectors are the originals. After listening to it run I thought it might have a broken valve in it. Banks EGT pyro on it circa 2000 year. Z industries Chip in computer. It was mounted in crossover on driver's side - not useful for this cyl.

Vac pump appears to work.

With the debris in the intake manifold this piston came apart topside before the valves were shut by the stuck TDC used to be a piston and bent pushrods.

Some scuffing on the #6 cylinder from debris and coolant. All the pistons have metal debris impacted in the skirts. The cam shaft oil pump drive gears ate metal. Injection pump drive gears rusty. Chain sloppy. Turbo has the new "Royal Silver" engine oil as well as the rest of the engine. We will see what FOD did to the turbo, it's bearings are toast. Not sure if that would be rebuild-able. Oil cooler and oil cooler lines will be replaced under catastrophic engine failure - full of debris replacement required by the book. At least cutting the oil cooler lines saved 1 hour of time wasted while pulling the engine attempting to get the clips out...

Valves appear to be ok see pics below. (I am sure they are trash, but no visible bend.) Both heads have the common cracking between the valves - scrap iron. Head gasket appeared to have failed, lifted, as part of the train wreck, not beforehand.

Mains have visible cracks. #4 going 1/3 the way around the block. #3 cracked as well. Both the cracks are all the way through as in on both sides of the outer main boltholes. I suspect attempting to pound the piston through the head made the cracks worse.

More Carnage!!! :nonod:

The #8 glow plug felt funny coming out. I thought it was going to be burnt off. It had splashes of aluminum on it but fine otherwise. 9G's a hint of OEM injectors. The injector has deposits on it as well.

The view into the precup and through the injector hole is interesting.
rabbit hole.jpg

PICT9319.jpgPICT9318.jpg

Injector build up.

inj num 8.jpg

That looks like the PO never changed oil or used non diesel rated oil or something to the fact.

Dump the entire cooling system into the engine oil at 2100 RPM or better. Watch as the bearings get ground up and the oil turns to a grease like consistency. Add derbis from the piston coming apart adding more silver as the debris inflicts more damage and creates even more debris. The volume is enough to puke oil out the CDR and put oil back into the cooling system.

Coolant and oil mixed is the fastest way to ruin bearings that there is. Clunker bomb is slower!

This one had an EGT guage, how about cooling mods, original low flow water pump (high output ones have an HO on them), any updated fan clutch or fan or 6 blade? Was the radiator clean?

The crappy water temp gauge that goes way too high is why buying a used one from someone that didnt know better and towed is worrisome.

Standard factory issue cooling system, but, looks like fan clutch was newer. low output pump and 6 blade fan. Radiator looks clean inside and out. Not pulled the oil cooler out yet.

This is why you buy one cheap with a pre-blown engine. No surprises and I get a rebuilt, known good engine, to abuse how I see fit. Vs. paying full pop for a running one that blows the engine a week after purchase. Will be about the same money when done, just, with a refreshed or low mile engine.

Yipes!

Stop yr scaring the bejusus out of me :eek:

No seriously thanks for sharing them pics & the info here with us :thumbsup:

So much for me thinking the oil non squirt motors had an advantage over the newer ones. I recon you can destroy anything if ya put yr mind to it :eek:

Back