• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Intermittent blue smoke and low power at highway speed

mgray

Reaction score
Bought this 1996 k2500 vin f truck in 2008 and it always puffed a little blue smoke at startup (slight stumble sometimes), but always smelled like fuel not oil. Longer the truck sat, the bigger the puff of smoke at startup and longer rough idle. Truck has sat more this year, only driven every month or so to warm up and move for 10-15mins. Truck started leaking what I think is diesel from front passenger side engine when parked during this summer (after driving), but has seemed to not drip as much lately as it’s gotten cooler. Injectors were replaced 5 or more years ago, and that never got rid of the startup puff of blue smoke. There would be a little smoke from around passenger side front head/injector area where it seems to be leaking fuel, after a drive when it got hot

Anyway the blue smoke at startup has gotten worse since it’s been sitting more this year, and now there’s a drivability issue at highway speeds, where I lose a decent amount of power and have thicker blue smoke (never had blue smoke while driving). But it’s seems to be a bit intermittent on how much power I’m losing and how much smoke there is. It’s not constant. It’s not really noticeable at all during slower non highway speed. Seems to idle fine.

Parked it after this highway drive and noticed oil leaking a couple drops to ground, but not much. Seems to be coming from around front oil seal, everything is oily up front. Engine has always been wet and oily at the front, but no drips, or very little. Seems this is new and tied to the recent drivability issue.

The engine just smells like it’s covered in diesel, especially after shutting down from a drive. So I'm hoping this is a stuck injector or some fuel issue, but something tells me it’s catastrophic internal damage and blow by is pressurizing the crank. The dipstick was fully seated though.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks

Back