• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Inside driver door handle broke and door wont open from either side?

hookedup50

Reaction score
Like title says. The only way I see getting door to open is removing seat and then door panel somehow. Any Ideas? Thanks in advance. In mean time I'll go out in snow and fix something. I can't think of 1 thing around here that isn't broken somehow. All vehicle have problem, both snowblowers inop as well as diesel tractor(starter).

If the outside handle happens to be broken you can use Visegrips or other tools to break it out enough to gain access to latch.
Sometimes the spring wares out and the latch wont reset, if you can pick up on the part of latch that the rod engauges it might reset. Then just push the latch again to open the door.

The outside latch was replaced new in the spring. Everything got lubed and new holding clips got used. I should have replaced the inside latch handle caue every time I don't replace everything around a repair the next thing fail and I'm where I am at, nickled and dimed again on parts and labor(mine with bad back). I am gonna order a new carpet and sound mat, then remove interior and fix door then install new carpet. If a seat is coming out, so is the carpet.

The inside latches will bend to the point they no longer actuate, then they break from you forcing it to actuate. They're cheap to replace. Rockauto is your friend.

I have the latch, just wish I thought to replace it when I did outside latch. Now its dropping to -10 and I have to remove seat to remove door panel. It wouldn't be issue except for the back issue. Gonna start tomorrow.

Fire up the truck and kick the heater on high. Hang a tarp over the roof and back a few feet for your legs sticking out. Stories like this are just why I am not living in a green scenery place...-10

My destroyed back and I are pulling for you- I hate interior work. I break clips and stuff nearly every time.

If it's the 97, you don't have to remove the door panel to swap out the inside handle. All you do is use a screwdriver or something to pop the bezel off from the door handle, and then you can slide the handle assembly and pop it out. I know I did one before this way, not fun but was able to do it.

Thanks Ferm. I was just looking at the new handle and was thinking same thing, but wasn't sure. I would prefer to put off the carpet swap ect till its a tropical 40 degrees minimum. I would like to wait till summer as carpet lays out better with heat, but the only way to rid the truck of attracting mice is removing the smell. I have to do the headliner as well due to they ate a few holes and I figure a nest or two is up there. I'm trying to figure what headliner to get from LMC type companies. They don't option one with overhead console and they just sell parts, but don't have a clue on product knowledge.

Back