• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Idler Replacement

btfarm

America First!
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I've developed a squeal at cold startup the last few mornings. Did Oil, Filter, Lube and FF replace on Sunday and wouldn't you know it...?
Anyhow, I'm not sure which pulley it is yet but will probably replace it over the weekend. Any recommendations for brand?

TIA

Your first one treated you pretty good Mike. I would stick with OEM GM Part#98094201.

At this point I don't know what it is. Obviously it would be cheapest and easiest if it was one of the 2 idlers. But I won't know until I pull the fan shroud so I can get to the tensioner Sat AM and her Tahoe is available to get what I need. I hope one of the local parts stores (NAPA, AutoZone, Carquest) carries AC Delco ones. Like Bill said, the original did a mighty good job.

Fan clutch bearing?
You might have jinxed me...:???:
I replaced the tensioner idler and I still have the squeal at cold start. With a quick shutdown it continues for a second or 2 and I'm thinking you might be right.
I'll start a new thread about that because I don't know exactly how to go about that deal... yet.

Chev dealer didn't have an idler. Napa didn't. Independent had a Gates one.
Check out the difference between old and new.
Idler2.jpg Idler1.jpgIdler3.jpg Chinese stuff but the NGK chinese bearing is the same in both.

Found a nice little stone along for the ride of it's life.:eek: Wonder how long that's been stuck in there. It didn't want to budge either.
Idler4.jpg

That tensioner is such a PITA to get to. I really want to get rid of the inner shroud and I will... once I figure out how to take the fan off with it.
Tensioner.jpg Fan.jpg

Mike,

Happen with AC on ??? may be ac clutch slipping, also belt squeal ???

Belts aren't what they used to be regardless of brand, mine stretch fast and when really stretched they squeal
Kicking the AC on when the squeal started made no difference.
This is a fairly new top of the line belt that is the hot setup that everybody has had great success with.
The squeal is gone by the time I get to the road in the morning. Maybe 350-400 feet.

Why not just replace the bearing? It is about $10 at most auto parts stores.
Which bearing?

i have seen power steering pumps squeal like hell, it is awful, you chase every bearing and that is the last suspect. try using a mechanics stethoscope or a looong screwdriver (poor mans version) and listen to each bearing individually.

also, if it is the belt and not the bearing get a belt that is a half inch to inch shorter than recommended by gm, it will put more pressure on all the pulleys and increase friction therefore eliminating your squeak.

Kicking the AC on when the squeal started made no difference.
This is a fairly new top of the line belt that is the hot setup that everybody has had great success with.
The squeal is gone by the time I get to the road in the morning. Maybe 350-400 feet.

Which bearing?
The idler bearing. Or did you already replace the idlers?
My guess is that the little rock in the pulley might have damaged the new belt.

Back